1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Arkham Sound Announces New Class D/ Tube Hybrid Amplifier

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 27, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    South Portland, Maine - Arkham Sound now offers you … the Beast of Both Worlds!
    -- a monsterous Class D / Tube hybrid amplifier –

Features:
    - Class D power section delivers 1200W into 4 ohms, 600W into 8 ohms.

- 12AX7 preamp tube selected for good tone and low microphonics, and powered with a dedicated 300V supply (not a starved plate design)

- -6dB input pad

- Gain, Treble, Bass controls - uses a James Tonestack to provide a wide adjustment range with minimal interaction.

- Range control – sweeps the tonestack "midpoint" anywhere between 150Hz and 1KHz

- Hi switch – adds a "bright cap" to the circuit to open up the high frequencies a bit.

- Mid switch – provides a healthy bump around 250Hz

- Lo switch – another healthy bump, at 80Hz.

- HPF switch - passive filter set at 100Hz.

- Integrated Subsonic Filter - active, 24dB/Octave HPF set at 30Hz. Tames low frequency cone excursion, allowing for more power and clarity in the audio band. Filtering and buffering handled with premium Burr Brown OpAmps.

- Mute Switch.

- Amplifier and DI Out Master Volumes

- LED Clipping Indicator

- Preamp Out and Power Amp In jacks double as a series, line level Effects Loop.

- Speakon/1/4" combo speaker jacks.

- Balanced DI output, featuring a hefty Cinemag transformer for full frequency response. Ground lift switch for good measure.

- Ultra quiet fan.

- Turret board construction for high voltage circuits, Mil-spec Teflon wire, etc.

- Top quality components throughout.

- Heavy gage aluminum chassis. 13" x 13" x 3.5" overall dimensions. Weighs ~ 9.2 lb.

- Anodized aluminum faceplate, rear plate, and all stainless steel hardware.

- Optional handle.

- Export and dual voltage versions available.

$1650 + shipping. Current build time is 4 to 6 weeks
    Visit www.arkhamsound.com for more info

Beast1. Beast4. Beast3. Beast2.

2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Very nice. Love that the speaker outs are the dual SpeakOn & 1/4" variety. Can't stand being forced to use SpeakOn.

Minor quibble; wish the face plate didn't stick out.

Best of luck with these!

3. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A few years ago, I might havwe gone for this.

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    DAY-UM. That looks like a winner right there.

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That's way more power than I need, but that pre looks sweet! What cabs were this tested with? For a hand-built high quality amp, the price isn't bad, either.

6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yup, I've got a Bassman 500 that's more power than I need. This is REALLY overkill.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I too run a 500watt amp when not going DI, and it's already very overkill. Running pedals into it is already crazy loud even at low volumes. Can't even imagine 1k+ watts :jawdrop:

8. Well that's just great...thanks a lot Arkham! I'm jonesing for one of your pre's bad enough as it is...& I just read this at work! Now I have to stay seated for the next 15-20 minutes, lest I embarrass myself completely...d@mn it!!

9. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

:D

I have one and it's magnificent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  10. bonin in the boneyard

One nice thing about the Beast is the progressive master volume control. Through a 1x12 cab at home, noon on the dial is a nice practice volume that won't piss off the downstairs neighbors (much, ha-ha).

In contrast, I have a 200W tube amp where I have to keep the master dial literally in the first few mm of a turn, and it's very touchy.

HolmeBass and Sunset Shalom like this.
  11. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    My bank account hates you. I'm from New England originally and a big HP Lovecraft fan, and I love passive-style tube pres. Like, somebody made a perfect amp. Why. WHY. I just want to be left alone and not buy beautifully engineered pieces of gear.

12. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    That's ticking all the right boxes :)

13. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    come on guys to much power???? That is why their is a volume knob on the amp. (just use your ears and common sense)
    This looks like a killer amp!!!!!
    Nice work Arkhamsound.

14. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I say this everytime my band discusses monitors and PA power.

15. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

This appears to essentially be an Arkham Zephyr preamp into a 1200 watt Class D module. I used to have an Arkham Zephyr preamp, and it sounded *GREAT*!!! So this "Beast of Both Worlds" amp is saWEET!

Nice work, Micah! :thumbsup:

16. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Looks very interesting! I like the built in HPF feature. Pretty similar to what Mesa is doing with their amps, too

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Not sure what this "too much power" talk is all about...

1200 watts won't be noticeably louder than 500 watts through the same cab, unless you're using a particularly power hungry design like a one of the large Fearful cabs: it will just mean that the amp is working less hard to provide the same volume.

If the amp is too loud, turn the volume knob to the left ;)

18. Great design. Does it require a speaker load or could you use it into the FOH without a cab?

19. bonin in the boneyard

No load required. I play 90% of the time into headphones via the DI out and a Rolls personal monitor.

That said, the Abyss in the classifieds could get you there a lot cheaper if you just want one of the world's greatest DIs.

20. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No one said it was too much power, all three of us said it exceeds our needs. Ya'll chose to make more of it than was said.

MHensleyJr likes this.