Arkham Sound Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XsoGol, Dec 2, 2022.

1. XsoGol

XsoGol Gold Supporting Member

Is there a club for folks who own awesome products from Arkham Sound? Should there be?

I can't say enough good things about Micah's creations, especially my custom Arkham Shadow preamp (pardon the mess of cables):

Arkham Shadow.jpg

It's a two channel bass preamp with a Hiwatt DR103 preamp on one side and the Zephyr preamp on the other. I feed a whole mess of effects through the DR103 side then into a Quilter Pro Block 200 and my clean-ish sound through the Zephyr into a Quilter Bass Block 800. This rig is a monster.

Anyone else want to talk about their Arkham gear?

2. Smokey P

Smokey P Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2021
    I had been wondering if there was or thinking about starting an Arkham Oracle club, but holy smokes man! That preamp is crazy! A9E1458B-50F4-435B-8BED-962A1CADC5B6.jpeg

3. XsoGol

It's a beast for sure. I am super intrigued by these Oracles though! Micah makes a world class product all around.

SteveFromBerlin, Joshua and Smokey P like this.
  4. XsoGol

Xsogol = 1
    @Smokey P = 2

Is this how this works? Mods, please let me know if I'm out of line here. :bassist:

Smokey P likes this.
  5. Smokey P

Jul 20, 2021
    Currently working on figuring out a good power amp match for the Oracle. Using the power amp in or the effects return inputs on my ampeg pf500 sounds fantastic! (Yes it has both, effects return leaves the master vol in the line). But that ampeg is bigger and heavier than I want to bring to gigs, but using my TC bam200 is good, but not as good..toying with the idea of selling both and getting a baby sumo, straight ahead power amp, or a markbass nano. Even thought of selling the 500 and getting the pf350 just for a little weight saving. Putting the Oracle on a board I have on the way, I’ll post it around Christmas time. Using the effects return on a quilter 200 block could work too actually for my purposes.

xsogol likes this.
  6. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Count me as a very happy Arkham customer! I'm just over a year in on an Oracle, and it continues to reign supreme in its tone niche. I use mine with a Bergantino IP112, which is a slick powered cab shooting for a fairly "my bass only louder" tone footprint, so the Oracle gets quite a say in how I sound. It sounds great with all my basses; my current fave mix is with my fretless LB-100. I push the input gain a bit for a little extra wool. Top drawer!

Jigmay, bmac314, kobass and 4 others like this.
  7. Smokey P

Jul 20, 2021
    I’ve only used mine with my 98 stingray 5 and it’s fantastic. I love keeping the gain on the edge, if I dig in I can get just a little growl, it’s lovely. I’ve actually recorded my upright with it which was nice but I’ll have it for its first performance on upright next week, excited to see how it does! I’d definitely consider a powered cab cause I think of the Oracle as my main amp sound for sure, but I love my revsound too much!

xsogol and Joshua like this.
  8. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    I should have added the Micah rigged mine for doubling by bumping up the input impedance. I will admit I don't play amplified DB too often, but it works great!

9. Smokey P

Jul 20, 2021
    Oh nice! I do play amplified upright somewhat frequently, but I’ve never really heard an impedance issue using a David gage realist (the old school underfoot ones), tho I’m sure it helps haha.

xsogol and Joshua like this.
  10. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

On the DB side, a few folks can't stop praising about them.

xsogol likes this.
  11. XsoGol

I send the Low-Z output of the DR103 side of the Shadow into my Quilter Pro Block 200's effect return and it sounds absolutely perfect in my opinion. I am biased...the Arkham/Quilter pairing, to me, is magical.

Smokey P likes this.
  12. XsoGol

@Joshua = 3?

13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Holland, MI
    Love mine. I'd love to have a powered cab to play it through, but I'm almost always direct, and my WD800 and Subway 115 is nice downstream of the Oracle.

Here's mine on various boards. EDIT: to be clear, these boards are historical and many of the pedals I haven't got anymore. I'm no collector.
    20221126_174527.jpg 20220606_190522.jpg 20220520_155642.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  14. XsoGol

15. Scott Bland

Scott Bland

Jun 19, 2020

Do you run it through the effects return?
    I do that when I use my Oracle with my mesa head.

David A. Davis and xsogol like this.
  16. Smokey P

Jul 20, 2021
    Yeah so far mine has been really great!
    Good to know! I will add it to the considerations, lol I love the form factor of the TC bam200 but the way I have to set the gain and master in order for the Oracle's tone to come thru it is annoying.
    your boards are SICK and I love that Pbass. Cant wait to have my board set up, it'll be the Oracle, a Source C4, a Fairfield accountant, and a poly tune all on a metro 16 (mostly cause it comes with a hardcase, i could probably fit it on a nano+)

Eric Cioe and xsogol like this.
  17. Joshua

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Apologies - I should have mentioned that I don't need a number.

xsogol likes this.
  18. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    My trusty Zephyr. The first (I think) to feature the now standard mute. Later modded into the “Super Zephyr” with the addition of the toroidal trans.

D015A391-B733-4D62-9E53-D14DD9152DFB.jpeg
    942E4264-5E58-4959-88DE-870CCD6D1039.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    May I ask you Arkham users a question?

I'm very interested in it for sure, as well as the Noble. Given that the Arkham uses a James tone-stack, I'm wondering if it has a baked in sound that is there regardless of your settings, which is what happens with
    the VT-bass.
    With the VT a variety of tones can be achieved with it, but no matter what the setting is, it still has a baked in Ampeg quality to it.
    I'm hoping the Arkham isn't like that, but I think I heard someone hint at it.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    xsogol likes this.
  20. Smokey P

Jul 20, 2021
    Well, I think mine sounds like an ampeg (a real good one at that) and that’s why I like it! But if you set everything flat it is a very flat sound, the gain on the Oracle is also a big part of the tone. If you set the gain low and all knobs at 12 with the switches off then I think it would be pretty “flat” if you wanted that. But I don’t do that, I’m not sure why you would personally but that’s me, there’s so much time to be found in these knobs, especially if you aren’t shy about them. The knobs are very versatile and can find a really wide range of very musical sounds.

@Dave Hill your rig is AMAZING!