Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arm Position on Semi-Acoustic

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by maxvalentino, May 1, 2001.

1. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Just a quick question: I recently got an Epiphone Jack Casady Signature, semi-acoustic. Love the sound and the feel...a great bass! One prob: The hard, sharp edge of the body is rubbing the inside of my forearm raw!
    I use a lot of varied right hand positions, including an adapted "apoyando" technique, but in the "standard" fingerstyle position (esp. down by the bridge) that body edge wears into my forearm.
    Anyone got similar experiences? Or better yet, offer up some advice to remedy this?
    I play with my basses about "medium-high"..that is between the waist and the bootom of my rib cage. I tend to play many chords and upper register melodies (I am primarily a solo bassist), and like to access to the entire range of the instrument.
    So anyone got any tips or tricks regarding this...besides developing a big 'ol forearm callus.....
    Max

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're sitting, you can angle the instrument so that the back of the instrument forms a triangle with your stomach and lap. This lets you rest your forearm on the top, rather than the edge, of the instrument. Standing, I'd guess, is more awkward.

Maybe all non-radiused guitars should come with one of those Gibson Chet Atkins armrests. I know Reverend puts armrests on their instruments to prevent "edge dig".