1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arm Shock...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CBBass123, Apr 14, 2006.

1. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Hey peeps, I've been experiencing a shock problem with my right arm. We usually play four sets of 12 songs at our gigs. After the end of each set, if I extend my right arm I get a massive shock pain. It hasn't really happened before but its happening often now.
    Anyone have experiences with this situation, and what can I do to prevent it.

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    You're not very specific...

Look at your posture/arm postion - is it twisted or out of shape anywhere? Everything needs to be gently curved without sharp twists. IS your strap pulling your posture off balance? Have you adapted your technique which might have increased the angle in your wrist?

Warm up before the set with some stretches. Include some stretches between songs - extend your arm after every song, so it doesn't get tightened up in one position - does this produce a bad shock each time, a mini-shock each time, or fix it all together? Just make sure you're relaxed and comfortable.

Also look at activities (like computer work!) other than bass which put strain on your arms/wrists/hands and see if they're the REAL cause of the problem.

Check out "Tha Bassist's guide to injury management, prevention and better health" by Randall Kertz, and if it persists see a doctor.

Ian

3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Try to pay attention to your playing style to see if there's anything that could be the cause.

I had a hard time figuring out why my right elbow was giving me trouble several years ago and I finally realized that on nights when everything was going good I got too exuberant with my right arm (I'm talking about onstage!) and it was tweaking my elbow.

Since then I've been able to avoid it from becoming a problem, now that I know the cause.

4. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    thanks guys...I found that having my right arm bent for bout hour of playin does it....Stretches work after every 4 songs or so...thanks for the tips!! You guys rock!