1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

!!!!ARM STICKING ON THE FINISH!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by davefarrell, Jul 19, 2007.

1. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    i just started using the floating thumb technique and my arm is sticking on the body which is preventing me from moving and i don't wanna lift my arm up. is there anything besides sanding my bass that will prevent my arm from sticking. :confused: :help:

2. Uh... wearing a long sleeve shirt?

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Take a shower!

4. Not sure of the answer but I think that Technique would be the correst place for this to get an answer. I am sure a mod will be along shortly to move it.

Regards

Matthew

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

LMAO! :D

6. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    i can't wear a long sleeve shirt everyday cause i only own one. and as for the shower comment. i shower 2 times daily and even when i wash my arm when it bugs me it's still sticky.

7. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    it's not a technique issue. it's something to do with the finish on my bass.

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Your arm shouldn't be doing a whole lot of moving anyway when you're playing (at least mine doesn't). It's all in the wrist and fingers, baby!

In fact, for slapping, it's good to anchor your arm so you only have to move your arm from the elbow-down as opposed to doing the chicken wing thing I see lots of newer players do :p

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Two showers a day? Haven't you heard of resources conservation? :D

Kidding aside, the only think I can think off is keeping a towel with you at all times and wipe the bass and your arm continuously.

Is the stickiness from sweat, or even when you arm and bass are dry?

Is the bass clean?

10. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    your wrist shouldn't be bent unless you want to damage it. but you were right about the fingers. with the floating thumb technique you keep your hand in the same form and move with your shoulder as needed. im just wondering if anyone has had this problem and has a solution

11. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    even when my arm and bass are both dry it still sticks. but if i were to like poke my bass with my finger it's not sticky or anything. it's just like bad friction ha ha. (the only reason i shower twice is because i usually shower before i go skateboarding in the morning, and when i get in from skateboarding im usually sweaty. so i get another shower and go play bass.)

12. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I missed the floating thumb thing.

That aside, it's also true that plucking the string as close to a 90 degree angle to the pickups will decrease fret buzz - which causes you to bend the wrist. Also, it's difficult to not bend your wrist with the bass worn up high.

13. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Sweat-band on your fore-arm?

14. Wear a sweatband on your forearm. One of my basses is sticky too :meh:

15. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    i never thought about a sweat band. has anyone tried that?

16. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    /thread

17. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Billy Sheehan does that.

18. Sheesh! give the guy a break!!

anyway, back to OT...

I get this...unfortunately, it's not a finish issue, it is the fact that you and I both have sweaty arms.

The solution? a very sparing amount of talcum powder on the area of your arm that contacts the bass.

19. davefarrell

davefarrell

Aug 30, 2006
    it really doesn't feel like my arm is sweaty.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You didn't mention what kind of bass you have and what type finish it has. I suspect that a good careful polishig of the bass with guitar cleaner/polish and a very soft instrument cloth might get off any sticky residue that has built up. It doesn't take much to make it sticky. :cool:

However, I actually find that I sweat enough on a gig so that the instrument stays pretty moist under my right arm. How long are you playing and how warm is it? It may be that you are not sweating enough....:D

I always wipe the instrument down between sets and after the gig. :ninja: