Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Armand Sabel Lecco alembic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Man have you guys seen the pics at the alembic club at alembic.com under artist and their instuments? Armand Sabel Lecco has one of the coolest looking small body short scale series II basses I have ever seen. Damn I am trying to sell everything I have to get one kind of like that but a series I. Do any of you alembic people know how much one like that would run me in a series I?

Armand is the man on that Paul Simon Live in Central Park. He has some of the best tone from that bass.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Playing around with the Custom Quote Generator at the Alembic website I got a list price ranging from $9,700 (Series I, front LEDs, 5A Quilted Maple top, California Walnut back) to $10,800 (Series I, front Laser LEDs, 5A Quilted Maple top and back)

A good dealer will get it for you for 65 - 70% of list. Ball park cash out of pocket for the bass as I've specced it above....... $6,500 give or take.

Or you could find a good used one (probably hard to find a 5A Quilt Small Body Series I, easier to find walnut, rosewood, zebrawood, or coco bolo) for $2,000 - 3,000 and add the front LEDs aftermarket.

Peace,

James

[​IMG]

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Flat Bass,

I'm not trying to sound condescending, but before you run out and spend a whole boatload of money on an Alembic, try like heck to play one. You don't want to buy one just because Armand Sabel Lecco is cool as all heck and he plays one. Especially if you're talking about a $eries I or $eries II. The whole experience is not for everybody. Alembics tend to be a bit on the heavy side and with the Series I and Series II instruments, the controls can dial in sounds that make you go "whatwazzat?". They also dial in sounds that make you go "ooooohhhh". It takes a while to get good at it. I'm still working on it.

The record will show that I really like Alembic basses (major understatement ;) ), but you really should judge for yourself before you spend that kinda dough.

Now, having said that, if you're ever in Detroit, I know a couple you can play.

Peace,

James

4. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I think that one that you posted is a different one than the one on the alembic site. The one in the picture at the alembic site has a cranberry tint on a nice quilted maple small body short scale. I really do not care for the LED's at all. That is just cosmetic. I just want that sound. WOAH! he is a bad dude on that Live in Central Park. I am going to sell everything I have and get one just like his but maybe with just series I electronics instead. Did you know they built that bass for him in 3 weeks!!;) Do you know of anyone who has a small body short scale for around the price you were talking about? I would kind of like it to be a newer one but would consider any. Thanks

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Maybe you meant this one...

[​IMG]

Actually I thought they were the same bass, different lighting, but if you were at Central Park, then you've seen it live. That's much better than my comparing two pictures.

As far as stuff for sale, I'd suggest lurking at the club, Bass Gear, & eBay. There's no rhyme or reason for when they show up. For a while there'll be nothing, then all of a sudden two or three at a time.

Right now I know of a couple large bodies for sale, and a couple small body Signature models, but no small body Series I or Series II. If I see something, I'll PM you.

Peace,

James

6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    James,

That is the one bro!:D I want one like that sosososososososo bad. His looks a little smaller than other peoples small body short scales do. Maybe he is a bigger guy like Stanley?

Thanks,
    Fred