Armando Gola, bassist for Gonzalo Rubalcaba

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I just might not get a single person on Talkbass who knows who Armando Gola is.
    The only record he plays on for pianist Rubalcaba is Paseo.

My friend gigs with him often, and insists he uses a Yamaha, but I've also seen pictures of his Modulus and Lakland.
    He is an incredible 5 string player and his tone is dirty, funky and very punchy.

Does anyone know what he used to record this album? Thanks :oops:
  2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    He is one bad MF!! Probably one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite latin pianist... Armando grooves!

What group and where does your friend gig with Armando?
  3. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    He usually plays bass guitar (upright in that pic, LOL his hair, that must've been a while ago. He's since cut it off).

My friend has a group called Krossover that has bassists that switch out. Armando plays quite a bit with them. They are in Miami. The other bassist is named Leo (forget last name) and he is touring with Lauryn Hill right now. Quite a group. My buddy plays drums. Check it out here:
    Hope the music plays. Myspace sucks.

But back to Gola. He has a deep, dirty groove on that album. It's so out but so rock solid. Rubalcaba is also really sick... J'Raj we seem to have really similar tastes and relate to some interesting bassists -- remember Carles Benavente? :oops: