Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Armando Gola on Gonzalo Rubalcaba's "Paseo"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    So I've been listening to this for like 5 months very consistently. It's a great album. So much to it, very complex harmonies but I don't know if many people on this forum would dig it, save for David Ben., r-raj and the fellow who loves Steve Swallow.

I urge you all to buy this album and check out Miami bassist Armando Gola's tone, which, if I'm not mistaken, comes from s maple boarded Modulus Q5.

He has a very original, sharp as a tac sound. My friend plays drums with him and says his axes include the Modulus, a Yamaha and in the past, a 55-94. He's also a virtuoso on the DB.

2. Armando Gola is the man! I freaked out when I first heard the Paseo album. I really like Armando's sound on that recording. More people should be exposed to that one. Without even hearing it, some people automatically expect it to sound like Rapsodia, with its' heavy programming, not-very-subtle keyboard patches and ultra-cerebral delivery. Paseo is quite different and Armando's playing on it is one of the key factors. Whenever I recommend Gonzalo albums to someone, this one is always included.

Wow, your friend plays drums with him? He must be a bad-@$% drummer!
    I didn't know that Mr. Gola is equally proficient on DB! Tell us more, tell us more!!

Brad

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Gola is a badA$$!!!! Love his ability to groove.

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, somewhere on my desktop PC, which I need to setup soon, is a recording of my buddy on drums, unnamed pianist and Gola on DB. Gola had only been playing DB for 2 months and he swings his arse off on it. My friend on drums, Andrew Atkinson & his friend on piano were only 16 at the time. Probably 5 years ago or something. I will do my best to dig up those tracks to show you.

Andrew is a badass drummer. He played with Randy Brecker a few months ago and was a part of the Melton Mustafa Big Band a while back (Mustafa was in Jaco's horn section a while ago).

I've heard Gola experiments with his sound a lot. I've heard he has a much deeper and smooth sound now, but that probably won't last. He's constantly evolving I guess.

The problem is that there are SO many great players out of Miami right now, and for the most part he's just gigging locally most of the time, not going on big name's records for the most part. I do not doubt he'll blow up big time pretty soon.

5. I gotta check it out!!!.. i got Gonzalo's cd with Charlie Haden and he is amazing!!!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh man, thanks for the head's up on this album and bass player. I'll check it out for sure!

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah! Check'er out.

Also go here to check out a bunch of the dudes who play together with this guy in Miami.

www.myspace.com/krossover

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    that's why i got the heck outta there! there are a lot of great players and very little work-
    another bad boy is Nicky Orta, who is world class but not very known outside Miami.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've heard of Orta.
    Yeah the caliber in Miami is above and beyond most cities. A lot of the top players in Miami could go to NYC and work all the time if they wanted.

I might wind up down in Miami, but playing piano and not bass. But I'd have to feel extra brave to make that move.

10. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Yea, Gola is a monster with a serious groove. He's on a great Cuban timba album by Manolin called El Puente and will be touring soon with the Cuban Timba All-Stars. Some great electric playing and serious dance music. I don't have Paseo, but I really like Gonzalo's playing. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have to check it out.

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No problem, Chip. I've seen your name come up a few times here and it's great you caught this thread.

Gola is indeed a monster.

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thanks for the headsup. Not musicians I'm familiar with, but I'll look into it over the weekend.

13. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Finally this week I tracked down Paseo. Interesting album. Gonzalo goes in so many different directions - this is a lot more fusion and electric than I'm used to hearing him. Gola does sound great on this album - he's such a great player. I really like that I got a chance to hear him solo - most of the things that I've heard him on are dance-groove type stuff. Not a lot of soloing there. He's got some great melodic ideas - patitucci-esqe I might even say. Thanks again for the recommendation, really enjoying the album.

By the way, I get to see Gola live in a couple of weeks! He'll be here in the Bay Area with the Cuban Timba All-Stars, should be a great show!

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Great man, I'm glad you like the album!

Gola grooves his butt off and I'd give my right arm for his tone.

15. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Just listened to this album... seriously killer bass on this, playing and tone.

16. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    BassMusicianMagazine.com
    This album is the real deal. The compositions are insane and the grooves are way beyond my "white american" comprehension :smug:
    I was planning on transcribing a few of armando solos. But first I have to figure out the meters :confused: :hyper:

17. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    Yeah man! That's the real deal there...

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Adrian, funny story man. The drummer - Andrew Atkinson - I was talking about in my post above is currently playing with Nicky Orta :D