Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arnie Lawrence memorial

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just received this...

Please join the family and friends of Arnie Lawrence on Sunday, July 10th, as we celebrate his life and honor his passing. A musical service will be helt at St. Peter's Church at the Citicorp Building, 619 Lexington Avenue (at 54th Street,) New York, NY at 7:00 PM.

People with whom Arnie has collaborated throughout his life will be playing and speaking in his honor. Among the performers and speakers at St. Peter's will be:

Clark Terry
    Chico Hamilton

Kirk Nurock
    Mike Richmond
    Dave Liebman
    Bob Dorough
    David Amram
    Lew Tabakin
    Badal Roy
    Jeff Williams
    Armen Donelian

Luther Rix

Martin Mueller
    Arnold Jay Smith
    Father David Kossey
    Bill Kirschner

along with Arnie's family:

Erik Lawrence
    Dr. Scott Lawrence
    Marya Lawrence Hart
    Rene Hart

After the service, a jam session will be held in his honor at 10pm Smalls, 183 West 10th St. (At 7th Ave.). Please feel free to bring your instrument and play.

Many people have been touched by by Arnie's spirit, music, teaching and caring. This will be a celebration of his rich and generous life. Please pass this information along to whomever you think should know.

Rene posted here a few times, nice bass player...

2. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I attended a few workshops Arnie ran when I was growing up in Jerusalem. Don't know if he'd moved back to New York,but he did a lot for jazz over there wheile he was there.