Around ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Hi. My name is Mark. I'm new and like to say hi :) I've been reading on these forums for a few days, but haven't found answers really so I regerstered and now I'll ask.

Question: I've been playing bass not to long but LOVE it. I played guitar for a few months and switched to bass and enjoy it so much more. So.. I was wondering what are good to best basses I can get for around .... say $700 US. I plan on gettting a new bass after the summer maybe for my birthday or something. And I need ideas. I know it's early but I really love looking at basses, (And I have nothing else to do with my life) So what are the best basses I can get "new" for around $700. Lets put on a $100 dollar leway. So $800 MAX. Now the sound I'm looking for is metal and rock. Thats mostly what I listen to and play. So if there are any other things you need to know to narrow down ideas for me just ask away ! Oh yea, 4 strings also. Forgot to say that...
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Does the $700 include an amp or are we just talking bass only? If just a bass you have a lot of options in that price range. I like Fender and would also recommend Ibanez, Yamaha, and Peavey. Cort also has decent basses at that price point. Others will give you great ideas as well. I suggest that you go to the music stores in your area and start playing a variety of basses so you get a feel for what appeals to you and then decide on the bass you want.

RICK! RICK! RICK!!! :D - thats the one!!

Keep saving, and go down to your store, check out some basses/amps man!!

4. I would suggest the MTD Kingston as one to try. I imagine that you would have money left over to boot.

The best thing you can do is go and try out everything you can afford. Make a list of the ones you like. Don't just try 2 or 3 and then decide, but try as many as you can. Hit all the instrument stores around you.

If you do this, and then come back with the list, why you like it, etc, we could give better input, such as reliability and customer service from our experience.

5. 4 string: MTD KINGSTON.
    5 string: MTD KINGSTON.

Best bass for the money I've ever played. You can get the 4's for around $400 and the 5's for around $475 if you look.
  6. Well I won't be going for a while. And yes this is ONLY the bass. No amp included. I'll leave that to Christmas ^^
  7. If I were you, I'd get one of the Korean Spectors. The NS2000/4 is $499 at Musiciansfriend and the Rex2000/4 is $789. Great basses that sounds nice, look nice, have good pickups, and are neck-through body. Also, ebay usually has a lot of Spectors for sale.
  8. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Lakland skyline bass...
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    The Spectors are definately worth looking into. the ns2000 Q4 for $499 is the bolt-on model I believe. The neck through goes for about $150 more in most places. The Rex is an excellent bass for metal, and you can't go wrong with the EMG's.
  10. Thanks for all the help guys. I'm leaning towards the Spector NS2000/4, very nice design and price. And it would leave me money to get a amp and head sooner then Christmas. I appreciate the help ! Thanks
  11. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'll second the Lakland Skyline. The 44-01 will be available by the summer, and should be everything you want and more. I think it lists for $975, so that should put the street price a little below $700. I've visited the Lakland factory and emailed Dan Lakin about a million times and I've had the best service one can expect. I'm saving for a Lakland right now; I love their sound and feel.

12. peaveyfury

Jan 17, 2003
    If I was you, I would get a Peavey Fury. I have played for about 2 years and have a Fury. I only paid $350 for mine but like it a lot better than my friend's $1200 Fender. Even he likes mine better! Get a Peavey! ;)
  13. No, according to Musiciansfriend the Q is the bolt on model and for some reason costs $70 more. Go figure. But yeah, anyways, Spectors are definitely great choices.
  14. You can pick up a sweeeet used Fender Jazz or Precision bass(american) for under that amount,if you shop around.Great basses!

Another nice lil beginner bass is the Ibanez EDC700
    they are to be had for cheap on ebay.MTD`s are nice should go to some music stores and get a feel for the differant basses then go from there.

Happy Hunting my friend! :)

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I would not hesitate to get a good used MIA Fender; very reliable instruments and perfect for any musical situation. Even though I have many basses, I have been gigging with the same Fender Jazz for 20 years.
  16. Thanks for all the help. Come summer I'll have a new bass :) Spector is looking tempting too.