Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

arpeggio help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by lazybassass, Feb 20, 2002.

1. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    im not sure if this thread is gunna get moved or not but here goes-
    ive been playing for about a year1/2 to 2 years.ive taught myslef evrything and i think ive gotten pretty damn good for my age and experience.but im having a little trouble on arpeggios.can sumone explain them to me?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

If I wasn't a moderator, I'd have some really good answers for this one, but since I'm a mod now I'm not allowed.:D

Hang tight, I'm sure someone will be around in a minute or so...

3. I'm sure the better players will jump in in a minute so don't get to worried if my post doesn't help.

An arpeggio is nothing more than a note being played one at a time.............. wait is this a joke:rolleyes: you say your "pretty damn good" and you don't know what and arpeggio is:confused:

Sorry if this is for real you might want to check out www.libster.com ;)

4. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    i do believe im pretty damn good for what ive done and im happy with the progress ive made.thats all i ment.i wasnt comparing myself to anyone.

5. Sorry man, now that I know your serious I'll try to help a little more:)

Heres a list of some of the more popular arpeggios you would play

Major root 3 5

minor root b3 5

Sus4 root 4 5

b5 root 3 b5

dimin root b3 b5

augmented r 3 5 6

major6 r 3 5 6

minor6 r b3 56

That's just a short list, but I think you will get the idea:oops: I hope Man I could never be a bass teacher:oops:

6. My formal knowledge is low... very...

...but aren't arpeggios notes of a chord played one at a time?

Sincerely,
    TWO-WAY SLASHER

(Yea, yea the ban is off and me and CF worked it out so...)

;)

7. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    ya i think thats right.but thats about al i know about them.

8. Yo, PhatPhunka!

Nice list there dude! I'm printing that just in case!
    Oh by the way correct me if I'm wrong but:

Major 7 : root, 3rd, 5th and 7th?

Thanking you not really in advance but still...,
    BLUE-GRAY BLAZER

9. Do yourself a BIG favor and take a couple of lessons. No joking! It will amaze you at what you learn and how much you will improve!

I am sure you are doing a great job teaching yourself, but you are working about 10x's harder than necessary. A teacher makes it so easy...

Later -
    K.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  11. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    ya i've sorta reached the spot where i really need to take lessons to progress but im rather strapped for cash but im trying.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It was done a long time ago. Don't tell me you haven't seen it yet. It was submitted for formal entrance into Clan Tabevil and honorary society of jazz nazis.

I've got a couple more sets of forms (in triplicate) to submit to Don Higdon and Ed Fuqua, Durrl has to notorize them, then just 6-8 weeks after my check for $5000 clears, I'll get my response. I'm real excited.

13. Wow, you did a great job. Congrads.
    Umm, I only had to sign a form.

:D

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'm sure you're right about that. Don't give up on all of the young'ns just yet... if you look at the earlier part of this post, you'll see that SEWER RAISIN has come around to the fold after a rocky start. I'm not ready to write off COUCHPOTATOBASS just yet. However, my stiletto endpin remains poised and ready should the need arise.

And no, you can't quote me out of context on that last part.

15. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    hey hey easy there.i havent gotten a chance to come to boards recently sorry and thanks for all your responses.:D .toolazytoopractice?i think i made this thread to improve my playing and to practice sumthing new.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like LAZZABASSARUS.

17. OK how about CRAZYBASSGAS OR SLEEPYBASSDONKEY???

18. Hey there, Lazy, don't be offended by Ed's name game. You won't find any better advice from anyone. Also, try to keep in mind that Ed can do much worse than toolazytopractice with that name. He's going easy on you because you're new. ;)

- Sabin

19. yeah once me and ed got into it about keeping time. I sent him one of my songs (where the timing was perfect) a couple days later he e-mailed me back saying he doesn't like that kind of music but then he gave me detailed step by step instruction on how to keep time and how to make sure my stuff was in time:rolleyes: he may be a miserable sob but he does know his Sh** so you might want to listen;)