1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arpeggio Question(s)...

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by TallPaul, Mar 16, 2013.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul

Jul 9, 2007
    I've been experimenting with walking bass lines lately. Does anyone know the name of the progression that goes:
    C E G A Bflat A G E?
    Also, Could that be played against a major chord? (I'm guessing no) I love the bluesy sound but I'm not sure under what circumstance it would fit.

Thanks!

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

You would play that to outline a C7 chord.

3. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    That's not a "progression" and it's not an "arpeggio". That's a walking line that can be used over a C7 (C dominant seventh) chord because the Bb is the flat 7th in the key of C.

You can use it over a C major triad if the song is in the key of F or if you're playing a blues or rock song where the C is a dominant seventh rather than a major seventh.

Lots of theory in this response and I'm concerned that it may be confusing to you. Grab yourself a teacher or a theory book and start studying.

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    A progression is the chords of a tune in order. For example CM7 F7 G7
    An arpeggio is when you play the notes of a chord one at a time i.e., C, E, G, B is a CM7 arpeggio in the root postition. Walking is when you play notes against the progression, typically quarter notes, such that they relate to the progression and hopefully sound good.

Like Art says, a decent grasp of theory is very helpful when learning to walk.

5. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    Good explanations... thanks