Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arpegios?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Flea24, Apr 8, 2001.

1. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    Can someone please explain as much as possible about arpegios it would be greatly appreciated thanx

2. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    ummmm.. there's a few different theories on that. Here's the standard one.

Let's say you have a nice simple chord, C-E-G-C. Sounds pretty good. It's a happy chord. =) But that's besides the point. If you played it "normally" you would simply hit all the notes at once. BAMM. But to play it as an arpeggio, you would play it as if you were strumming it, so you play C first, then E, then G, then C. But you hold all the notes! so at the end, it sounds like a happy C-E-G-C.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The term "arpeggio" simply means "broken chord". So, if you are playing any chord a single note at a time up and/or down the notes of the chord, you are playing an arpeggio. To learn more about how to practice these, I'd wait for BAD FUNGUS to post...he has a whole practice routine built around practicing arpeggios in various inversions that a lot of folks seem to really find helpful.

If you don't want to wait that long, go to http://activebass.com and search for lessons by Ed Fuqua. He's got a few such lessons on file there. Be warned, however, that some Italian words function as both nouns and verbs. "Arpeggio" is one of these words. As a noun, it means "broken chord". As a verb, it means, "find a teacher".

If you don't believe me, just ask Ed.

4. [​IMG]

If you play the white notes in an ascending or descending sequence then you are playing a Major arpeggio. You can also play the grayed 7th notes and you'll have a Major 7th arpeggio.

[​IMG]

In this chart, the white notes make up a Major 13th chord. I just love playing these extended arpeggios.

For more charts, check out http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/

- Dave