arranging/composing tips

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Jun 17, 2001.

1. My friend and I have been jamming a lot for the past few months and we want to start putting some songs together and recording them. we have all the necessary recording tools, but we had some trouble arranging the song. Needless to say we didnt get very far with the song and not much got recorded. Does anyone have any tips of arranging and composing for me? All tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Nate M
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    One important concept that seems wasted on many people who record stuff in their studios is that of sonic space - that everything should be put in a place where it's neither overpowering another part, but also not completely absent. I'm assuming you have a portastudio of some kind. What I do when I only had four tracks was record rhythm guitar and drums at the same time, then I'd have one track left for bass, another one for keys or a backing vocal and still another one for whatever.

Ideally, no individual part should overpower the other or detract from the main melody, whether it's a voice or an instrument. You have an entire stereo spectrum - use it. Have a mental picture of what a band would sound like and try your best to reproduce that on tape. These are some of the concepts I think about. I'm not sure if you have any specific problems. This is what sorta works for me.

3. my brother is big into recording and he has A LOT of recording equipment, basically i was having problems putting this song together and leaving room for vocals. We tried counting out measures of the verses and choruses but it never worked out the way i wanted it too. The song in question is basically chorus-verse-chorus-verse-brigde(for solos)-verse-bridge. We just couldnt seem to get the timing for each indiviual part down right. see if you notice any problems in this or if you have any tips. Thanks a lot.

Nate M
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think you just need to practice it more.