Arrgh!! I left some gear in a taxi last night!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Oh man! I just realized I left my Boogie Abacus midi controller in the cab last night after the gig. [expletive of epic proportions] I've called the cab company and they told me they didn't have it, and then hung up on me. This is great, just great...

This is a discontinued (and somewhat hard to find) item. I am so screwed. Grrr... I was so tired I must have just missed it. Man do I feel stupid. [insert another really good expletive here]

Make me feel better - has anybody else done something stupid like this after a gig?
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    No. ;)

I've left stands at such at places before. That always sucks. I'm glad I have my own car- but then again, in a big city, it's hard to do that.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    in 89 I had an 87 Ric 4003 MapleGlo, Carvin PB300 (pre + x-over + low end), 100watt @ 8 ohm power amp (high end), a couple 80's Ibanez stomp box effects and the Yamaha 1x18 sub & Kustom 4x12 (EV loaded) that it all attached to stolen from a locked van after a gig while I went back in to help the drummer pack out (He and the Guitarist were too busy flirting to breakdown)
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

That sucks!!!

Call again and ask for what cab number it was. Follow up on Monday when the main management is around.

Look into insurance covering this.
  5. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    This hasn't happened to me... but I know that it has happened to other people in my school and where I play, etc.

I got a guitar stand because the owner never came to me to claim it... also a cable that I saw was left lying around for days
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I couldn't quite fit all the gear into the back of my truck after the show, even though it all fit on the way there. So, I decided to put a PA speaker in the front seat next to me. It was a nice JBL w/ metal corners. I stopped a bit too short at a stop sign and it fell forward and put a big crack in my windshield. I has just replaced that windshield 2 weeks before. :meh: I think I'm on my 4th windshield now . . . If you ever need to have a PA cab ride in the front, be sure to tell it to wear it's seat belt.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    HOORAY!!! My Abacus has been found!

Man, I was more tired that night than I thought. Apparently it never even made it into the taxi; I left it in the club, and the drummer picked it up. All is well. :hyper:
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've done this before! May times.
  9. Glad you didn't lose out...this time.....guess you just have to take more caffeine so you don't do this again and worry yourself like that! :)
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It only takes one good scare like this to make sure something like that never happens.

You'll prolly be anal from now on about loading/unloading your gear, which is a good thing. :D

11. man, i'd probably go into hiding and just be depressed if i left some gear behind... sucks for u man
  12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    nope, i go thru a "used in gig" gear list just as the instrumentalist on a surgery
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    glad you found your stuff.

About a year ago after a show randy (my guitarist) decided to put his amp in our drummer's truck because it would enable us to squeeze 2 girls he had just met into the back of my car. he ran over to the truck and started talking to yet another girl who was leaving the club and passing by. after about 5 minutes he returns, says lets go, and we head to a restaurant. We arrive at the restaurant and he says, "Holy sh**, I don't think I put my amp in Santo's truck." We call Santo. No amp. We drive back to tthe club. Someone is standing outside. We ask him if he saw an amp in the street. He said, "Yeah, some car drove by a little while ago and picked it up."

I still don't won't let him live that one down. The power of women.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I go through tuners like they grow on trees. Don't know why.
  15. Ditto.
  16. All I ever lost was a cable. My guitarist was using it since it was a spare of mine, so I didn't have to replace it. It would suck to lose something that big.
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My biggest problem was clothing, jacket's especially.

I've stopped leaving gear behind since I started doing what I like to call an "Idiot Check". I always give the whole stage area one final swoop before leaving to make sure there's nothing left behind. It takes 5 seconds and it works. Of course it means I'm the guy who rescues the drummers stick bag over and over, but that's OK, a almost forgot to pack my bass once........and yes Joe, it was a woman's fault :)
  18. I parked my car in town recently, and had walked a couple of blocks before I realised that I'd forgotten to lock the car, and that my accordion was on the back seat, in full view. I hurried back, but was horrified to find that I was too late…

…there were two more accordions in the car!

Glad you got your gear back anyway!

- Wil
  19. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I haven't lost any gear cause i haven't had a gig yet.
    But I do lose stuff l like Briteny Spears loses her virginity.(OHH!!)
    That was Lame.
  20. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    ^^Yes, that was lame.

I once lost a power supply at a Battle of the Bands (one of the daisy chain ones), but I found a nice cable in return, so I almost broke even. :meh: