ARRGH, i need help with neck adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BlacktotheBlind, Aug 3, 2005.

1. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    First off, my Warwick Rockbass has always had some issues with string buzzing. Even after having it adjusted by a tech it still buzzed a little but i could deal with it. Now after several months it's in need of adjustment again. Locally there isn't too many techs who have experience with the Rickenbacker dual truss rod design so pretty much my only option is to learn it myself. And i figure my Rockbass would be great for practice. I've read Gary Willi's guide to neck adjustment, no dice! It's either i have rattle with an open string or i have rattle in the first five frets or i have rattle and buzz by the 12th fret. there is no happy medium! the only way to get it decent enough to play is to have the height set way too high. if i only do the 1/4 turn you can't hear a difference in either direction. for the past hour and a half i've tighten, i've loosen, i've heighten, i've shorten,...i've given up. right now the neck is at the point where the height is high and i get buzz by playing an open string but not a fretted note.

i've just gotten angry to the point of where i'm ready to pull a Pete Townsend on this Rockbass, adjusting a neck should not be this frustrating. advice please.
  2. Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    As someone who used to own a rockbass, I can tell you that there are flaws with those basses. While they look nice and are pretty loud, they are not of Warwick quality. Mine had sporadic dead spots (9th and 11th fret on G string) and had minor issues with buzzing, that even truss rod or string height adjustments couldn't fix. Not to mention the constant screws falling out or a becoming loose. It has wierd input jack setup so that it's damn near impossible to tighten it without stripping the hell out of the threads. I had a tuning knob strip and had to reorder a new one. So unless mine was just a fluke thing, those basses are not worth your time or money. But thats just me...
  3. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Here are some tips:
    First set the relief at somewhere between .005and.012. a good way to do this is to use a business card or folded piece of paper.
    To set the relief hold the string down at the first fret and body joint fret.
    Check the relief at the 9 fret.
    after this is done raise or lower the nut height and the saddle height.
    One important tip-take this slowly some time an adjustment that is a bit too low or too high can make a world of difference.
    Also each bass is different some basses can be setup to be played with action almost touching the fingerboard and some need medium.