1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Arrgh. New Bass, "Free Setup," Wrong Strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Standalone, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I just traded my Marcus Miller for an American Delux P. The setup wasn't great, too much relief, so I negotiated for a free setup too. I told the girl at the counter that I wanted Rotosounds. She wrote "rodasounds" on the ticket. I corrected it when I signed it, and went on my merry way.

Half a week after the promised time (which was a full week in the first place), and after speaking with the tech twice-- once in person, once on the phone...

I pick up the bass and it's got blue silks. Nickel? Yuck. Who would see a request for rotosounds (in production for like 40 years) and think that the customer wanted Nickel? Besides, the setup manages to be both high AND buzzy. :/

So this is the thread where I complain about this. Thanks for listening.

2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    stink!

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I guess I'll be the first to say you get what you pay for... ;)

That sucks. As soon as they wrote "rodasounds" I would have told them to forget about it.

4. Take it back down there and get what you bargained for!

A setup doesn't take that long to do, so they should be able to do it while you wait, (especially since it was botched the first time). That way you can try it and tweak it till it's the way you want.

Edit: At the time of this post, I didn't realize the OP had not specified the actual type of strings he wanted, so can't blame the tech for that. I would however, suggest he get's them to tweak the setup to his preference if he can't do it himself.

5. lowregister

lowregister

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison, WI
    That just sounds like any given GC story.

"Hey, after you set it up can you put on Rotosounds?"
    "Oh yeah, bro, anything bro..."
    "Alright great."
    "You know, buddy, you might want to put on "X", they're more expensive but they sound better."
    "No, thanks"
    "Alright bro, I'll put on D'addarios for you..."

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The dude took a week and a half. Even when I showed up, with little kids and wife in tow (hello... busy guy here...) to bug him to get it done.

I wasn't about to leave it again. Almost a month without my new bass? NOT!

I'll eat the $25 I spent on the strings, I guess. And replace them with steels once the deadness really starts to bother me.

I have never taken a bass in for a setup before. Don't think I will again. I just thought I'd save myself the trouble of taking the neck off, but looks like I will anyway.

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It wasn't GC-- they did offer to make it right, but I didn't want to leave it again. The nickel strings kinda said "this tech doesn't know bass" to me pretty loudly.

I'm not pissed at the store, I mean, I got a great deal (MIA for MIJ even steven), the bass is playable, and I get to experience some new strings... no biggie. They just didn't earn my return business for any other setups.

The bass intonates perfectly, but I guess it's hard to know whether I don't like the setup due to the string choice or due to the actual action...

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hate to say it, but this is exactly why EVERY bassist should learn how to do at least a basic set up on their own instruments. It ain't hard, and then you get exactly what you want.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    ^ I agree 100%

10. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    maybe they put on rotosound nickels with blue silk at the top

11. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    +1

I really don't understand where you got that assumption from. You didn't specify what specific model of string you wanted. They could have put Roto flats on your bass. I use Rotosound nickels because I don't want them to eat my frets.

Rotosound does make nickel strings you know....

http://www.amazon.com/Rotosound-RS66LN-Nickel-Guitar-Strings/dp/B0009G0AWS
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rotosound-RN66LD-Nickel-Swing-Bass-Strings-100190147-i1166963.gc

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    This is a little bit like saying: "I never had the grout in the bathroom cleaned before, I just thought I'd save myself the trouble of taking the bathtub out." Something's getting lost in the translation.

13. Not if he needs to shim the neck.. ?

14. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    True, but "too much relief" indicates a simple truss rod adjustment
    - "My saddles are resting on the bridge and the action is still too high", then yes, maybe.

15. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    What, because nickle not only saves your frets and your fingers, but also has less of the high end twang of stainless steel strings?

If you'd asked for a specific type of rotosound string, and they'd given you strings you didnt want, then fair enough. Their tech probably just went for the strings that the majority of people who ask for rotosound buy.

16. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    +1:hyper:

17. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I personally would have wanted the Nickel strings rather than Stainless. I'd warrant a guess that actually more bassists here on TB would prefer nickel over the stainless.

18. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Rotos were like the first roundwound string... I mean, It's practically historic, right? They had two stocked shelves of ss rotos. One of nickel. Which one is the one that the majority buy? As far as I know, nickel rotos were only recently introduced.

19. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Yes, I know.. they're on my bass now! And Rotosound flats on my 82 Ibanez P. Tension is too high on those for my taste, though. :)

My sense was that anyone on here (TB) who says Rotosounds is generally assumed to be speaking of the SS strings that were introduced by the company in 19whatever and used by Entwhistle and so on. At least this is my impression.

Even at random GC's... I ask for Rotosounds. I get the orange box with your basic rotosound SS string.

20. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    Well obviously they sell more nickels, as they had less of them :bag:

Nickel rotos have been around as long as I've been playing for. Either way, you didn't tell them which strings you wanted. It's a bit like going to a car dealer and saying "can I have a ford please?" and being pissed off when they give you a focus instead of an F150.

FWIW, your fingertips will love these strings if you've been using SS strings for however long :)