arrgh ... too many Precision options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pfschim, Feb 6, 2017.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I'm a long time Jazz bass player, and use a Lull M4V as my go to bass for most things.
    That was until I got in a band where I felt that a P would be better suited.
    For that gig, I bought a CIJ '51 P reissue (single coil, yellow/amber finish, maple neck, reverse tuners etc.)
    So, been working with with the '51 RI for a year, and all is well .. until I start thinking (always the start of a problem ;)), ..... hmmm maybe a "real" P would be better.

So, I start looking at P basses and what do I find ...
    '52-'57 (remember I already have the '51 RI)
    '58-'63
    70's .. something or other
    Fender: MIMs, MIA's, Roadworn, CIJ, Artist models, Professional, Elite, CS ....
    Boutique makers (Lull, Lakland, Sadowsky, Nash etc etc ...)
    Non-Fender, but related .. G&L, Music Man ....
    yikes!

Now, I never really had the same issue with Jazz basses, I started playing them in the 60's and am comfy with the 1960s-1970's style for Jazz basses (really love my Lull). But, while I have played P basses from time to time over the years (in sessions, at a producers request etc), I never owned one personally .. other then the CIJ.

Now, after decades of playing, I do realize the best way to make this decision is to just go out and play as many as I can and decide based on "hands-on" .. but with all these options, that does not seem a likely scenario, at least in my (remaining) lifetime.

I am inclined towards Fender MIA quality for the P bass, but given my experience with the CIJ '51 RI, I would also happily go CIJ/MIJ. I could also bite the bullet and grab a Mike Lull P seeing as how much I like my M4V, but they are a bit dear new.
    After wading through a bunch of threads, and looking at FS adds for a month, I have kind of narrowed the field to:
    - recent build MIA STD P (seems like a no risk choice)
    - Roadworn P (kind of like the relic'd vibe, and have heard/read they are nice players)
    - Lull P4 (kind of a no brainer, but on the expensive side)
    - Nash, either a '57 (my birth year) or a '63 (because I kind of like the idea of a Jazz neck)
    - Lakland Duck Dunn model

I will also add that money is NOT the primary decision point. I would like to have a nice, classic P bass, that is a pleasure to play and delivers a "classic" P bass tone (probably split coil as I already have the '51 RI single).

So, any of you P bass players out there want to give me some advice on this ?

thanks

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    YES! New 2017 American Professional Precision or an AVRI '63. Take your pick according to neck radius preference.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  3. Any modern P bass can sound and fell same or better than vintage.
    The key is try the max units you can.
    You can try some Squiers Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified, some can be same or better than Fender ones.

fourtet102 and lowdownthump like this.
  4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I wish I could use logic to help point you towards a particular Fender P, but I cant..

I have a MIM Classic 50s P, a MIM Steve Harris P and an American Standard P.
    I've played multiple examples of each, and within each range, they have ranged from dull & lifeless, to exceptional.
    Mine all sound & play nice, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Classic 50s.
    It might be the least expensive of the three, but it just has that certain something that all really good Precisions have. :bassist:

5. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I've picked up two nice used Lull P4s here on TB in the last 6 months, both were under $1400 and in great condition.

TuneIn and chris_b like this.
  6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ahh, dude, did you grab that Amber flame P/J recently with the darkglass pre installed ?
    I was checking that out closely

7. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
  8. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    90s G&L LB100 with the flat neck
    Light, very easy to play, great hardware, awesome band mix tone, not too modern/not too vintage, rarely needs setup

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    So I would look for a used "P- body with a J- neck bass"

Used because even when money is not your main concern, you can get a nice case for the bucks you save.

A good bass deserves a good case!!! (IMHO)

good luck with your hunt have some fun :bassist::bassist::bassist: (allways try before buy)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A Lull Jazz needs a Lull P to go with it.

12. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Japan 62 reissue. Quality. Lightweight. Thud. I've got two and love them both.

13. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Go with an original... keep it Fender.

14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Since you mentioned Nash, I'll say my PB 63 is a solid bass. It's the one that's been in my current arsenal the longest and it isn't going anywhere. I had the DiMarzio pu, which I recently swapped to a Duncan Steve Harris. I've heard lovely things about the Lollar loaded ones. I've even played a few at Mesa Hollywood. Every Nash I've played there is just consistently good. The feel, the sound, the setup. Every time I play one, I try to justify buying a second one.

The only other P I've played (and I've not played tons) which blew me away was a Nordstrand.
    I'm certain there are many fine options out there and other good suggestions will roll in.

CptRevell likes this.
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Looks like you are in SF. There must be a ton of music stores in the area. Go play P basses. ;)

As I posted in another thread, when I wanted a P bass I went down to a local music store and tried out about 10 fender MIA P basses. They were all different. You can't tell anything about the feel of a bass by looking at it on the internet. I don't think you can tell a whole lot about the tone either. The biggest variable in tone is the way you play and you need to sit down with a bass to tell how you would sound on it.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  16. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Lull, Nash, Fender AVRI, these are all good choices, i too was watching that Lull PJ in Portland, sweet rig.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  17. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    You swapped the pickup in that CIJ yet?

18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I own 4 Ps
    2012 Select
    2010 MIM
    2010 Squire CV 60s
    ???? Squire Affinity

The MIM and the Select sound very similar; however, I like the neck profile on the MIM better. The CV is a great bass. It sound similar to the MIM, but isn't quite as full, but the neck profile is even thinner. The Affinity, at the moment, is in parts being rebuilt with new good stuff.
    If I had to keep one and only one, I think it would be the MIM.

Fenderon, Crowd crusher and Ghastly like this.
  19. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    57...birthyear bass. happens to be mine and i picked one up about 2 years ago. sweet bass. think Oteil with the ABB.

20. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    I don't think finding both a great sounding and playing P is complicated or difficult at all.

Strictly from a Fender perspective, I've never had any trouble getting a nice classic P sound out of any of the numerous passive split-coil P models I've owned/played (*squier and lower end models not included). Yes, there are some minor tonal variations depending upon the variables (pickup/wood/etc), but they are all in the same little-league ballpark. When I buy a P all I do is find one with the features I want (radius, nut width, frets, finish, etc), put the strings I want on it, EQ a bit based on the pickup and I have yet another perfect sounding and playing P!

lowdownthump likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021