Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arrgh!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm in the middle of learning "Power" by Sir Marcus off of the M2 CD. Although I've got the gist of it, it's killing me to do it cleanly. I know I have to start slow, but when you're playing with the Cd, you just wanna jump in there! Needless to say, it's killing me. I can't do the intro cleanly more than twice in a row. Oh well, patience rodent!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've got the intro down but I've only learned the parts up to the solo. It'd probably help my bass playing though if I'd just sit down and learn the solo...it's not all that hard really but I'm just lazy. It's a freakin' cool tune though!

brad cook

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There is software that slows tunes down. I can't think of any off hand, because I can play power 3x as fast as Marcus and I learned it after just hearing it once!

:ninja:
    (pssstt... hey woody.... can I have the tabZ when you are done0
    :bag:

:D

4. That bugged me for a while then one day I just had it - I think a lot of this kind of stuff - Wooten as well - is about getting inside the feel as well as learning the notes - try and develop the pattern with the groove - try it at different tempos - and if you can get hold of Sound Forge or Cubase - you can time stretch stuff so it stays in tune but is basically slower and easier to hear - I hope that helps

M

5. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    Transcribe

www.seventhstring.com

You can get a free trial version, I find it really useful. You can slow tracks down and use the EQ to bring out the bass if it's tricky to hear.

6. Nothing to worry about here as the old saying goes
    PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

I think this is a case of muscle memory since you have everything else in order
    One thing might help is to find out which part that is giving you trouble and make a exercise from it
    ie Hone that part ( Loop it ) with the nome

Other then that you'll be saying to yourself Man that's a piece of cake when you've learnt it
    I do this with every song that gives me technical parts that I find I can't get cleanly
    Hope that helped

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That little rake he throws in there is a little minefield of notes!
    :D

Marcus, I now officially hate you. :D