Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

arrghh, help me!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flamer, Nov 7, 2002.

1. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    hello,

Right then, I'm in desperate need of advice, i've been going round in circles on this new speaker issue for months now, and i need to make an executive decision!

background: I currently run a hartke 4000 400w @ 4ohm head through a laney 250w @ 8ohm cab and play in a noisy indierock outfit.

I was originally looking to buy a 4x10 cab, but seeing as i tore a muscle in my back earlier in the year i think this maybe a bit heavy.

so i decided that adding a 210 (ashdown?), to my rig maybe worth a look, but i have just been advised that this would make virtually no difference to my sound.

please help me make a decision, so i can go and buy something!

-cheers, confused UK bassist.

2. flamer

flamer

Oct 18, 2002
    swindon, england
    sorry, meant to say the laney is a 15" speaker.

3. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well, since your Laney is an 8 ohm cab, buying another 8 ohm 2X10/4X10 cab will allow you to take full advantage of the 400 watt output of your Hartke. So for starters with the increase of wattage and the addition of the added speakers you will be getting more volume. Also, 10" speakers are generally regarded as being 'punchier' than 15", so you will also be adding a different dynamic to your sound. 10" speakers also carry the upper register better so your sound will have more clarity and notes higher up the neck will sound cleaner.

My current setup is a 2X10 and a 1X15 and to my ears it covers about everything tonally that I am looking for. I'm not sure what 'flavor' of Indy band you are in, but if you play anything involving harmonies and the like a 2X10 would be a great addition to your setup.

Hope this helps, cheers.

4. :confused: Adding a 210 cab to your present setup would be (imo) the best possible addition you could make. Like RB says, Your gonna get more volume ( your amp was designed to work into 4 ohms ) and better frequency response than you could ever get with a single 15. :D