1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Arrrg - Warmoth body <> Mighty Mite neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SanDiegoHarry, May 4, 2010.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So I bought this MM neck on Ebay a while back - yes, it was cheap (~$80) but it looks & feels right... I have had a long-ongoing frankenbass that I've never quite found the *right* neck for... It's a Warmoth P-shaped body.

So last night, I get my tools together and get set to mount the neck to the body and *bam* - no joy! The neck it significantly wider than the neck-pocket on my Warmoth body!

So I guess I'll sell the neck, no biggie - but has anyone else ran across this? This strikes me as odd, since both companies sell their gear as "Fender Replacement Parts"...

Am I missing something?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    There are multiple "Fender" 5-string widths... so you can blame it on them.

Dan K.

3. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    But this is a 4...

4. How much is significantly wider? Could you rout out the neck pocket to fit it, or would it look bad?

5. It's odd but not completely surprising. Instead of selling the neck, why don't you make the neck pocket a little bit wider and have it be a perfect fit? Better than the other way around of having a neck too small for the pocket.

6. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, the body is nicely finsihed (those Warmoth guys do good work) so I'm hesitant to work on it - besides, my router, table saw and other tools now belong to the Ex. Yes, my life sucks.

So.... Given that I haven't put a single scratch on the neck, I'm thinking of trying one of the "new and improved" warmoth necks - I understand they are less chuncky these days... Heck, I might go wild and get a P-neck - they have switch to 1 11/16", and this bass is sorta set up for slapping (dual MM p'ups...)

And if a Warmoth neck doesn't fit on a Warmoth body, I suspect Warmoth will help me sort that out...!

7. That's what I'd do - sell the MM and get the Warmoth neck, but be sure to specify the width of your neck pocket when your order it. Get 'em on the phone.

Dang! What'd YOU get, the ironing board and the minivan? :rollno: