Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARRRGGHHH! BASS COMBOS, PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkenraja, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Hey everyone, ive onyl just joined, and I must say its a great little community youve got here.

But onto more important issues. Ive been playing for almost a year now, and for them ost part ive been borrowing equipment, pretty avergae. but, im looking to start a half-way decent rig, and i need it within then ext few months.

So, Im looking for the best combo that I can get suggested, my price range is 1500-2000(eek) AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS.

I have been getting extremely fond of SWR gear, namely the Workingman's 15, which i played today, and was impressed....also I can stack further cabs and such to the combo a bit down the track anyways......

so i need your suggestions on the best combo's my money could by, and if i were to get the swr wm15, would i be making a mistake? keeping in mind that i am currently gigging, and power to price ratio is important issue.

Thanks guys :D

2. The low end of your budget is $1,300 U.S. If somebody sells you a WM combo for that you got ripped. My suggestion would be:

Mesa Walkabout Scout 112
    Eden CXC series combos: 210 or 410.

I would stay away from the dealer who is trying to sell you a workingman's combo for that. You can get into a Rich Man's combo.

Importing the Eden might be the way to go since they are easily configured to operate anywhere in the world. Great series of amps.

I would move to Oz in a heartbeat if I could, but I remember how expensive everything was. PM me if you want me to drop some names that will ship to Oz. You would be on the hook for duties, of course. But would still come in under budget.

You are actually in the head cab range. Maybe an Eden WT 400 and XST 210 cab.

3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    You could also get an Eden Metro or an SWR Super Redhead in your price range, used.

I'd go with a head/cab setup, as that leaves you with a lot of options down the road.

I'd try to get a Genz Benz GBE600 and an Eden 410XLT or 210XST.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy an Eden Metro or a Peavey BAM. Both of those can be bought used for $700-800USD each.

If you are in love with the SWR WM15, you can get those brand new for $650USD.

-Mike

5. so you think that paying 1600 aussie for the amp is too much? i could probably get it down to 1400..........it was very impressive, and there are many amps and stuff that arent readily available in my town......

basically im looking for the best possible amp my money could buy. and also without too much hassle.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah, that is way too expensive. That would come out to $1000-1200 for that combo in USD. If someone paid $1000 for a WM15 in the USA, we would all laugh at them.

-Mike

7. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Though your conversion is correct, your thinking is absolutely wrong. US products are very expensive down under. I spent almost a year there. I saw levis and timex watches selling for 3 times what they sell for here. I would think $1,400.00 AU is a fair price for an SWR 15. You should see what Harley Davidson's sell for over there. It's almost like a supply and demand issue. Everything is relative.

8. That is fiscally insane thinking. I have spend time there too. Spending time there does not make an unreasonable price reasonable. Don't pay that much for a WM 15.

Buy from a reputable U.S. dealer that will ship. Get a fair price, pay the freight and insurance and duties. Use the money you saved for something else.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OUCH!! You could let me down a little easier bro. But my thinking is still right about people laughing at you if you pay $1000 for a WM15 in the USA.

-Mike

10. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Buy from a reputable U.S. dealer that will ship. Get a fair price, pay the freight and insurance and duties. Use the money you saved for something else.[/QUOTE]

He could do this, but it still doesn't change why pricing is what it is. Everything in Australia is more expensive. I worked with accountants there with the same BA degree as I have who were making $112,000.00 per year for Hong Kong Bank. This was in 1995. I was making $45,000.00 for the same position in Pittsburgh. The Porter at the hotel we stayed at earned nearly $45,000.00. Everything is relative. If he lived in the U.S. he would only have about $700.00 to spend instead of $1,400.00

11. I am not going to argue Kansian economics.

The supply/demand is artifcially upset in Oz not only by higher taxes, but bogus distributor fees. The mark up is not justified. In theory, supply and demand should be the same here as in Oz.

Nothing wrong with a savvy consumer getting a fair price.

Nothing wrong with higher wage and higher taxes in exchange for a governement that doesn't let people fall to the bottom.

But $1,400 Aussie for a WM 15 is offensive.

12. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    How about $99.00-$125.00 for a $25.00 timex ironman watch. This is what they sold for at David Jones in Melbourne back in 1995. I think if you live there you just accept what imported products cost. Going to McDonalds averaged 15.00 per visit for a burger, fries and drink. Now if I were in Pittsburgh I would agree this is ridiculous, but over there we paid it. I earned more in six months down there than my normal annual salary. When I got home my co-workers thought there was no way I was worth $60,000.00 for six month's accounting work, but I'm worth it if I received it. This is what I mean by everything being relative. If you were there to work and live in the economy for an extented period, you would get it.

13. I just don't think I could leave a city like Sydney to go to a city like Pittsburg and work for half the salary. We just aren't going to agree on this but no problem, bro.

Sydney is my fav city in the world.

14. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree, I was only in Sydney for a week working for the Railroad Association, but in Melbourne for six months. I had to leave because my work visa expired. I'm originally from Pittsburgh. I miss Australia every day, but that's life. But, all things considered, I can save more money at my current salary in Pittsburgh, than I could at that higher salary down under all because of the C.O.L. factor.

15. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    But Sydney doesn't have the Steelers! Woot! :)

(Before anyone calls me a bandwagoner, note that Pittsburgh, at about 1.5 hours away, is the closest city to me, and I've been a huge Steelers/Pirates/Penguins fan since I was a little kid.)

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dude...you rock...first you like GB gear, and now you like all the same pro teams I do.

-Mike

17. Once you hit Bondi beach on a good day, you won't even remember or care who the Steelers were.

18. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Genz Benz and the Steelers are cream of the crop

19. I just got lessons in economics, foreign culture and travel, and sports education in one thread. And who says that Talkbass isn't better than high school?
    ;)

20. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I had a WM15 for a few months. Hated it. It had little volume and the tone was...just, not nice. I wouldn't buy one for $200. I'd check into an Avatar 2x10 or 15 and a used head with at least 300 watts.