Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ARRRGH!!! FedEx Blues!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jobu3, Feb 4, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Here's me anxiously awaiting my iamp-800 purchased new from the gentle folk at bassNW. They said it should be about 5-7 business days. I can live with that... It is coming clear across the good ole' U.S. of A. So it should have been here last night at the latest by normal standards. It wasn't. I called the good people at bassNW and they provided me with tracking... and I tracked. Site said it was picked up by UPS* (*EDIT: should read FedEx and not "UPS," pardon my Freudian slip) on the 26th of January... Great: It went out exactly when it should have!!! January 27th: left FedEx in Seattle. Great! It's on it's way... one would think, now wouldn't one? Now wait... what's this? The next line says February 3rd and it's where?! Some godforsaken place in California?! It should be in at least Ohio by now if not at my doorstep... February 4th: It's leaving the same godforsaken California FedEx hole in the ground. At this rate, it would have been faster for me to drive out and pick one up... Or taken the same amount of time and built one my-dern-self!!! There had better have been a major ice storm or something out there for FedEx to keep my amp hanging around for five or so days... Now I'm probably going to have to borrow a head for this weekend's gig. It better be in one (working) piece when it finally gets here! :spit: :bawl: :help:

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    UUUUMMMMM.............

Question??????????????

Why did UPS pick it up and then FedEx ship it out?

This make no sense at all!

They are compeating companies........They don't work together!

This should have been your first sign something was wrong.

3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    My bad... It was picked up by FedEx origionally! :meh: I had UPS on my mind because A.) I wish that was how it was sent and B.) I just had to run there and ship a bass... Long day!!! :help:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, sorry about that. I live about an hour south of BassNW and saw that amp you bought. When it left FedEx, they dropped it by my house for some QA testing. I guess I took a little longer than I was planning.

I'll get it out in the morning...........Pony Express. Hu-YAH!

-Mike

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    That's a relief!!! I thought they were kicking it along the sidewalk to humble Avoca... :smug: ;)

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I would just like to know why Fedex can't find my house!!! And even when they have a phone number they don't call for some last minute directions...they just take it back to the warehouse and then when you try to track it all you get is "attempted delivery--address not correct"....but UPS always finds me. :crying:

Joe--I hope it's in one peice for ya! Truth is, Fedex has always delivered stuff to me in perfect condition, including my last bass purchase. Maybe this bad weather is slowing them down?

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I would just like to know why Fedex can't find my house!!! And even when they have a phone number they don't call for some last minute directions...they just take it back to the warehouse and then when you try to track it all you get is "attempted delivery--address not correct"....but UPS always finds me.

I used to be a FedEx courier, and my wife still is. Note that FedEx Ground is a completely different entity, and I know very little about it. You should ask your courier why he's doing a DEX 03 (delivery exception, incorrect address). Make him give you the corrected address that he's using when he logs your delivery. Use that exact address from now on, regardless of what UPS does. At worst, you will get free service if you press the issue, and the delivery is late. Delivery exceptions are typically the courier's way of getting out of wasting time on problem deliveries. Out here, we had maps with tons of corrected addresses. In a pinch a wrong address would be the first to get blown off. If the courier does call and get a corrected address, they're supposed to ding you for a $10 surcharge. A lot of couriers don't want to go there, and let a customer service agent deal with it instead.

You might try to build a more personal relationship with the courier. I had a cel phone, and took care of everything I could ASAP, on the road. Sometimes this isn't feasible, especially in urban areas. BTW, be sure you have a readable number at the entrance to your driveway or whatever. The courier wants to off the package, not to jack you around...trust me. The UPS pay structure is different, those guys typically can't come back with anything in the truck. IME, FedEx gives much better service, but I respect UPS and have many friends who work there, and were brothers on the road when that was my gig.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    good points...and of course Fedex Ground is what I'm dealing with here--since they carry the "big" stuff. What it seems like is that no matter how many times we call the customer service folks and ask them to update the computer or route info, it doesn't fix the "finding me" issue. What I have found works the best is whenever i ship something to ask the shipper to put a note on the outside with specific directions to my house. Some will, some won't take the time. I bet living in a really rural area is even tougher to get delivery....

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Here's why... Fedex Ground is NOT part if the FedEx network. They're just independent carriers that pick up from FedEx.

You not only get to deal with the computer routing not updating, but also there is:
    - NO way to schedule a pickup (third attempt and you're not home? Sorry, jack, it's going back to the sender.)
    - NO phone contact with the carrier (call Fedex and they can only give you the verbal shoulder-shrug, because it's not "their people")

=0(
    At least if I miss UPS I can go pick the dang thing up. At my new house I love UPS deliveries, I'm late enough on the route that I'm usually home from work when they arrive!

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hmm...that's weird. I always choose FedEx when I can. I think they provide better service and cheaper service than UPS. The last 3 packages I got from UPS had holes in the boxes!! It probably depends a lot on where you are located (some regional centers are better than others).

11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Well, I initiated a "trace" and it is now due here for this coming Wednesday... 2.5 week delivery! :spit: :crying: :rolleyes:

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They did get it here to me today after calling and getting a trace... So at least that much is comendable! Back to playing!
    :hyper: :bassist: