Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arrrrgh! I think I just killed my Renaissance!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jun 21, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    EDIT: The bass is OK again!! Explanation six posts down...

I should be shot for being stupid! I just plugged my Renaissance bass into the headphone jack...

...and now the bass is dead.

Silent.

Nothing.

I must have fried something.

:eek: ... :mad: ... :spit: ... :( ... :bawl:

2. :bawl: :bawl: Sad. I'm not an electronics expert, but I'm sure someone here can help troubleshoot the problem. Everyone has short periods of stupidity (some more often than others), but hopefully it isn't anything too serious. Good luck!

jtbp

3. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I sent a mail to Rick Turner, he has been very helpful before so I hope he can help me...

:(

4. why would this be bad for the bass?

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    because it would send a signal into the bass instead of out. The powered signal could possibly fry the electronics in a bass.

6. Damn! that's sucks!..
    I hope the damaged part is something cheap and easy to replace.. Good luck..

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I got some wonderfully helpful mail from Rick Turner who guided me through testing and fixing the bass. Many thanks to Rick for fantastic support!!

After measuring different things on the preamp it was diagnosed as healthy. Measuring the piezo pickup then showed it had developed a short-circuit. The solution was to remove the pickup from under the saddle and snip a thin slice off the end of it using a scalpel. Not exactly something I could have come up with myself...

The "fried by the headphone jack" idea was probably just a coincidence, the bass must have been dead before I connected it.

All is well again!! :D :cool:

8. Nice to see the builder give you so much help! Sounds like great customer service!

jtbp

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We should come up for a name for this phenomenon. Nothing ever breakes when you're using it as you normally would. As soon as you do something a bit different, BANG! But it always turns out to be a bang that would have happened anyway..........

10. Dcd004

Dcd004

Dec 14, 2002
    Huber Heights ohio
    I am happy your bass was able to be fixed but on the bright side u learned i nice trick if that kind of thing happens again