1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART: Applied Research and Technology

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Behringer can do it because they come up with little, if any, original products. Carvin can do it because they eliminate the middle man.

How does ART keep their prices so low?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Behringer doesn't actually save much money on R&D, because they have to pay people to reverse-engineer the designs they "borrow". Where they save money is on cutting manufacturing costs. They have their own city, literally, which is dedicated to efficient low-cost production of Behringer goods.

ART doesn't have their own city, but they have a similar focus on sourcing extremely cheap manufacturing.

3. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not sure how they do it. Their company headquarters are in Rochester, NY, just down the road from where I lived for many years. I always wanted to poke my head in there and see what they were all about, but since I had no real business there I kept away. I don't know if they do any manufacturing there.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It costs far less to reverse-engineer a product than design it from scratch.

Alex

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, but compare R&D costs in a well-established "textbook" environment like consumer-grade audio gear compared to the cost of manufacturing. The scale is miles apart.