Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Art Ensemble of Chicago--recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. I recently came into possession of a not-quite-legal :rolleyes: copy of the Art Ensemble of Chicago's 1980 album Full Force.

I dig.

Anyone have any suggestions for other AEofC and related recordings of which I should buy a legitimate copy? I keep hearing about this one Roscoe Mitchell album every serious jazz collector is supposed to own, but I don't know much about it.

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    "Nice Guys" is from that same period of the AEC

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Yeah, "Nice Guys" is the most accessible of the Art Ensemble recordings. You can almost dance to parts of it ;-)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I'm wondering if the Mitchell album is Sound.
    If so, it is dubbed "the first documentation of the AACM music". Muhal rulz!
    This was released in '66...future AEC mates Favors & Lester Bowie are onboard.
    Saying this is "difficult" would be an understatement.
    If you do prove to be adventurous-
    Pick up Sound's companion disc, Joseph Jarman's Song For(also from '66).
    Fred Anderson needs to be heard more...

As far as the AEC-
    The Pathe Sessions/Americans Swinging In Paris is very accessible...almost R&B(w/ the occasional free blasts from the horn section of Bowie, Mitchell, & Jarman).
    The recent AEC album on ECM, a "best of" selected by the remaining members...I like, too. Not that far out at all(Mingus-like?).
    The AEC box, "1967/68"(actually Roscoe Mitchell's Art Ensemble) is very 'out'. At this time, it was either Phillip Wilson or Thurman Bkaer on cans.
    FWIW-
    I do like Don Moye's approach in playing with this group.

And Ed is on it-
    Threadgill, McCall, & Hopkins(AIR) are very happenin'.
    Good luck in finding their stuff, though.
    ;)

5. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Anything by the AEC is worth checking out.there is to many great recordings to shallowly narrow it down to a few,as well as the solo projects from the various members AEC.and yes AIR is definately worth checking out as well.living here in Chicago is a plus if wanting to catch the guys performing with AEC or their solo outings.as a youngster I played in a few projects with Drummer Steve Mcall(from Air)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I bought that and the first track is a great Mingus tribute - the rest of it is very variable, to be expected with an experimental group I suppose. I'm glad I bought it, but it didn't inspire me to buy any more as a whole album of some of the stuff, would be quite hard to sit through! ;)

7. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Les Stances A Sophie is my favourite AEoC album, although not that representative 'cos its much funkyier than their other stuff generally is, and has some great vocals from Fontella Bass (wife of AEoC trumpeter Lester Bowie). If you like it, check out the Cinematic Orchestra's tribute to Bowie, All That You Are, featuring Fontella Bass as well.

A Jackson in The House and Message to our Folks are probably their two best "out" albums.

8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I've just been listening to Malachi favors (the Art Ensemble bassist) playing on Sunny Murray's album "an even break never give a sucker". Its great stuff. he normally plays without a drummer in the AEoC so its interesting to hear him freed from some of the rhythmic responsibilites.

9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    I just had a gig with Roscoe and did an extensive listen to his catalog and the AEoC, they are pretty much all solid - but check out the early BYGs and People In Sorrow and things like that. It is a deep well!!

10. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I'm a completist, but if I had to pick a few standouts, I'd probably go with People in Sorrow, Reese and the Smooth Ones, Message To Our Folks, and the little known album Go Home