Art Eq any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Dec 1, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is the Art 441 Eq any good?
    I need a stereo Eq in one rack unit with variable low pass and hi pass filters.
  2. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    well, it doesnt say it can take Unbalanced 1/4 inputs/outputs. And generally a bass signal would be unbalanced. I'm not exactly sure what problems you may run into if you tried connecting it anyways tho..
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've used various ART EQs quite a bit, as they're generally considered in the US to be the cheapest ones that are worth using for "real" PA applications. They've never caused me any problems, but I would personally buy Ashly, Symetrix, Rane, or DBX units if the money were available. I have no idea what any of those would cost in Sweden though. A simple high pass switch is standard on most of these, and does fine for my purposes. What are you going to use the variable ones to accomplish?

Active balancing on modern equipment rarely creates problems when run unbalanced, in my experience. In many cases for bass applications, you'd have the EQ in an EFX loop, or inserted somewhere where the signal is closer to line level anyway.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The adjustable hi and lo pass filters are going to be used to save my top cab from lows under 60 Hz and I want my future sub to get only frequensies under under 150Hz but above 30-50Hz depending on room acoustics. Kind of like a crossover but simpler and with an Eq for both cabs as a bonus.
    The Eq will be used between my Ampeg SVPCL preamp and my stereo poweramp. Is this a good idea?
    So the balanced connections wont give me problems in this case?
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I figured that was more or less what you're trying to do. I'd check the specs on the variable low pass filters carefully, as they ususally don't go anywhere near as low as what you want for a subwoofer. I've done just what you're talking about though, but just using the EQ to kill all the highs to the sub. There's a bit of a potential problem doing that, since the EQ curve often has a lot of bumps in it if you just pull all the faders down. A sub may not let you hear that anyway though.

If you're handy with technical stuff, you could probably modify the low pass filter frequency, and then all the faders over 150Hz will be moot on that channel. You'll also want to check on the filter slope, and make sure it's steep enough for a subwoofer crossover application.

Most power amps are happier being fed by a balanced line anyway. You should double check the ART manual, but I haven't seen a piece like that in many years that won't handle an unbalanced line without any trouble, especially on the input side.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Remember, "for every EQ there is a fool to use it."
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I use an Art HQ215 for our monitor mixes and it works really well for that application.