1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Art Levelar Settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scottlee, Jul 25, 2003.

1. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I just picked myself up an Art Levelar without ever having tried one. (Not easy to try out where I am from)

Could anyone give me some advice on settings that you use for it - this is supposed to be about as simple as you can get for a compressor but I am clueless :p Which setting for limit/comp and auto/fast switches etc..

My main use for it was to pull back peaks when slapping- mainly highs (I used to adjust my eq for this) and giving my finger playing a punchier tuby sound would be an added plus.

Also - do you run before your preamp/after bass or in the effects loop?

Thanks for any help.

2. phillm47

phillm47 Supporting Member

I tried mine in both places and the effects loop worked out best for me with my amp. Try both and see what you think.

You can download the manual HERE

I liked the "Limit/Comp" switch set to "Limit", and the "Auto/Fast" set to "fast". All though I set it at "Auto" sometimes too. I set my "Threshold" so I was triping the first LED with lighter notes played on the G & D strings, the set the level for unity gain, using the bypass switch, with the yellow LED lit.

This worked well for my style of playing - YMMV

I think the Levelar is a great compressor for bass. Mucho bang for the buck.

3. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Thanks phillm47

Very helpful, I'll give it a go :D