Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Art levelar vs Tech 21 Comptortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Magman, Feb 26, 2003.

1. I think some will say I should get the former hands down. Lets look a little more closely though:

I'm looking for a good compressor to smooth and tame both guitar and bass signal *before* going into Tech 21BDDI. In the case of the bass, up the signal a bit for more grind, in the case of the guitar, lower the signal for less grind.

The comportion has the ability to add some grit (which I always like) possibly to help achieve the 'golden grit' sound of just breaking up : and the compressor gets good reviews (good quality, transparent, assume its same circuit used in bass compactor). And it runs on a battery.
    Plus has a stomp switch to "kick" into a different tone.

The Art can be used for microphones as well and has a real tube (cool) and is highly regarded. It uses a external power unit though (UGGG).

Has anyone compared and used both units. I was going to go with the comptortion but I think this is a more practical for my requirements.

Thing is, I don;t really use mic's or play live...(yet) this would be for studio use, but in the eventually a jam does occur, having to hook up the art to a power strip is really yucky.

Curious: Can it be overdriven (the art)?

Any other recommendations in the 50 dollar ebay range?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The ART LeVeLaR (which is what I use) is a very transpatent compressor/limiter. It provides compression (or limiting) without really hearing the compression, although it does add a little tube warmth. The ART Levelar just does it's job and goes pretty much unnoticed, which I believe is what most bass players are looking for in a compressor.

It seems like you want something a little more aggressive than the ART. The Tech 21 Comptortion and Bass Compactor are probably good products for you to check out...

(BTW, I've never tried to overdrive my Levelar, so I don't know if it can be done. Overdrive seems like the opposite intention of the unit, although you could probably us it to boost your signal to overdrive another preamp).

3. Aggressive...yes, I think thats a good word...:)

squish the signal, increase sustain and boost the level to provide a longer smoother, heavier overdrive tone (without getting into totally fuzz out, which is comparitely easy)

with my guitar, the humbucker is so loud it overdrives the BDDI even when the drive is set to 0 so it desperately needs taming to get a nice clean signal.

I understand attack/release/ratio/threshold settings and can use software compressors once the signal is in my computer but don't want a rack unit with 20 parameters to fiddle around with just to get the sound I want on harddisk.

On the software compressors, extreme settings do produce distortion/overdrive (overdrive IS compression of a paticular shape).