Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART MP Tube MIC PRE AND LIGHTWAVE BASS

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by luknfur, Aug 5, 2005.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sorry for the intrusion in advance but curiosity has got the best of me and I'll take whatever heat is coming.

As far as I can tell this doesn't belong anywhere down here (but neither do I). Regardless I want some feedback from URB players about both of these pieces. Did a quick search and drew a blank - suprise suprise.

I've got a Lightwave fretted 4 (optical pickup) that I've had for a couple years actually and it's been great wall art but not much use for anything else I could tell. But it actually puts out really decent URB tone. I really don't play jazz but I've been listening to a jazz station lately and so pull the Wave down and continue to be suprised at the results. URB is my favorite bass tone although I've never touched one. Anyway, makes me wonder if this is something any guys that actually play URB have noticed at all?

The other thing is the Art MP Tube Mic pre, one of which is headed this way, and I really know nothing about except that all the guitar players complain about how well it works for bass (but not guitar - which I guess it's intended for mostly) and seems would be particularly applicable to an URB. So any experiences there?

Guess that's it.

2. oystein

oystein

Sep 15, 2001
    Norway, Leikong
    Hi mr. luknfur,
    I have not tried the Lightwave bass you're mentioning but it would be interesting if you tell us about your references for urb tone. Favourite players/records etc. I know people bragging about the Yamaha P-250 electric piano how natural it sounds(though it's quite good but still an electric piano) but their lack of references wouldn't make them able to distinguish between a Steinway Grand and a cheap Korean upright piano blindfolded. Be aware, your opion will be questioned here. :meh:

Regarding the Art MP Tube Mic pre, yes I have tested it on upright bass and it put out a decent sound but nothing exceptional. The predefined sounds were to "coloured" to my taste. Actually my Raven Labs PMB, Sadowsky DI and Fishman Pro-Eq all sound better IMHO.

rgds oystein
    BTW, please fill in your profile.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Since you asked. Both of those items are underdeveloped and eclipsed by far better things.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    The reference was to NPR jazz but I've heard plenty of live URB over time from Willie Dixon to Stanley Clarke to Bluegrass - who or whatever. It's an inquiry that struck me to ask people who know URB's that may have some experience/exposure with these items.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

just as an update. Got the Art and it really doesn't do much anything I can tell except boost the signal - which is one of the reasons I bought it. Sold my preamps so really didn't have anything to drive the QSC if I had the desire - not something I use often, but sometimes. It also beefs up tone at lower volume in the Poly combo.

Read compaints about noise but you have to really crank it to get noise from the unit. Since it doesn't make a discernable difference in tone, there's no point to crank it. As far as I can tell, otherwise it only amplifies noise that's in the signal already.