Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Nightbass preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., Apr 15, 2001.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Anybody here know how the Art Nightbass SGX would work as a preamp using it with just a power amp? Or would I be better off keeping my Firebass2 and running it through that??

Is the Nightbass dependable enough to rely on it as a stand-alone preamp??

I have a Peavey CS800x power amp that I am not using right now, so I can run it either with that or the Firebass. (once the Nightbass gets here)

Thanks
    Ryan

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ive never tried it personally, but all i've heard is negative comments about it. I believe Steve Lawson has tried it, and there was a thread about it in his forum a little while back, so you might search there.

3. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I'll try a search and see what I come up with.

I probably made a mistake buying the thing--I got it REALLY cheap though. I guess if I don't like it I can put it back on ebay and sell it.

Figured I might as well give it a try---it looks kinda neat in the pictures.

Anybody have one of these things that can tell me a little bit about em??

4. the problem that i have had with ART units is the lack of sustain. i have a ART effects unit and it makes the notes drop fast. its ok if you are playing a constant line but if you want to hold say a 1/2 note, the note disapears quickly.

5. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, when it gets here I guess I will give it a try and see what I can come up with. Like I said, I got it cheap enough so if I don't like it, I can probably resell it again for what I got into it.

Thanks for the replies.
    Ryan