Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Nightbass Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvirtuoso13, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Does the ART SGX Nightbass sound good and is it really useful.

2. 12Toes

12Toes

Apr 19, 2001
    Lexington, KY
    Takes alot of tweaking to find what your looking for, but with all the effects, its in there. I found that I could only get what I was looking for after I learned to properly program the unit. The manual reads like a white paper and is unpleasant to do business with. Now that I've found what I want, I can't imagine what other set would duplicate it. The level of variation within each effect is very, very good;not good if you don't learn how to program the box. I've read about the unit being noisy. It if you plug your bass in and don't adjust. I'll stress again, this unit is not user friendly out the box. The only thing you can do out of the box is run through all the presets. My personal patch consistes of compression, exciter, light touch on the eq, noise gate.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to love mine! I was able to get just about any type of sound I wanted out of mine. I think they are pretty versatile and give you almost endless possibilities to create different sounds. If you can hear a sound in your head you can more than likly get it from the nightbass. I wasnt crazy about the distorted sounds, but then im not big on distorted bass. (exception to that rule is Eddie Jackson)
    Mine had some hiss but after tweeking some paramters and adding an external noise gate that problem was history.

4. I have a nightbass se for sale right now. It is used, and it has done me great. Some presets are noisy, but they are the ones with tube preamp simulation and distortion. This unit has a tone for everyone. The eq sections are great. There is a five band knob eq, and a graphic eq in the effects section. This allows you to have your normal sound, and then switch in different eq's for solo's or slap etc. I didn't use the delays and reverbs, but I know that the cost of them in a single pedal is almost as much as the nightbass. I also have the x-15 foot controller which allows you to switch effects on and off like stompboxes and two expression pedals that control any parameter.

5. Whatcha askin' for it?

- Dave