ART NIghtbass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Oct 26, 2003.

1. hello everybody,
    i recently purchased an ART Nightbass SE, yeah I am addicted to effect boxes, and i had broken my Zoom BFX-708 a few months earlier, so it was a must buy for me. I know there are a lot of great processors out there for the bass, but this was a first for me to see one. I in Wisconsin where everyone plays a peavey p-bass copy through a peavey 115 or 410 with a peavey head. Needless to say, I had to have it. Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else owns a nightbass, and if they like it as much as me.
    Charlie :bassist:
  2. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i've had one of those since they came out; not the se, just the original. Mine's been through hell, got one corner of the rack ears bent from where it fell from my rack onto my big toe (wearing sandals.) had to play the show w/ a big gauze wrap around my naked gushing foot.

Anyways, i dig it. It only sees use as a home practice/recording unit these days; always found it a bit weak for live applications. i like the jaco foot preset, and the precision tonight minus the reverb.

My buddy's and i as teenagers used it as an effects processor on every instrument for just about every 4 track demo we did, you can coax some very interesting sounds from it.
  3. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also have owned one since they first came out,
    I still use it to this day. I built alot of my own
    pre-sets for different Basses & Cabinet combinations. The effects are awesome, as I to
    love effects. The distortion is unreal.Here is a pic.
  4. hey NV43345,
    nice rig, it looks awesome compared to my rig, well any way, I notice you have a big peavey cab, could you give me some info on that? my cab is a 1x18 plus a 2x10 above it. I haven't seen one on the internet, or around hear, but I notice your cab looks the same as mine (except the speakers) so i am guessing they were made around the same time
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I bought that peavey rig in 1987. It is a mark VI
    head 250/400 and a 2X15 Scorpion speaker cabinet.
    I dragged that rig all over the place from the time I got it until 1995 when I bought the Trace
    Elliot rig. I had a 1986 Chevy Caprice and I had
    to move the passenger seat all the way forward,tilt
    the seat back forward and then I could slide that
    big cabinet in the back seat. After years of hauling big heavy rigs around I downsized to
    that Hartke 2X10 with a SWR Workingmans 15 &
    a Ampeg PB250 head.Much easier on my back.Peavey
    also offered that cabinet with Black Widow speakers that handled more power, but at the time
    I only had enough money for the Mark VI & the Scorpion cab. It served me well for a long time,
    I could not part with it, so I kept it.Here is a pic of my current rig I play out with.
  6. Deep Pockets

Deep Pockets

Oct 28, 2003

I have an ART Nightbass I bought at a pawnshop for $400, and a foot controller for another $75. ART e-mailed me the manual, so now I can tap the potential of this discontinued but very versatile efx unit. I have not been an efx type of bassist until now, but I'm hoping all the new sounds will inspire some new ideas. In the past, whenever I've tried an effect, I wind up on a gig without it, and the bass just sounds bigger and deeper without it. So I don't bother with it. The nightbass has an efx crossover, so I'm anticipating being able to use some efx without diluting the low end.
    Are you using efx as a part of your overall sound, or just for soloing?

Deep Pockets