Art or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

What do you think? Does art serve a necessary function in society or is it a luxury that we've acquired no that food, shelter and survival are taken care of and we need something to occupy our time? Does something have to be unnecessary to be art?

Obviously there will have to be a delinieation of what art is and what craft is.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Clearly the best way to determine if something is art is to put it up for judgement at

brad cook
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Aristotle answered your question 3000 years ago :)

All art is concerned with coming into being... for art is concerned neither with things that are, or come into being by necessity, nor with things that do so in accordance with nature.
  4. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    great quote (your's, not mine, at least from this end.) art is....what?

art is art by intention, i think: found objects and their ilk don't constitute art insofar as their meaning is accidental. i can find a great deal of irony in the cartoon of the flag over a chain link fence, but art is by and for the artist; reception merely affirms the notion. intention defines art, and reception reifies it.

that said, i think a great many people use the label politically, in class warfare; i.e., calling the "art" of the underclass "not-art" and so on.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama