1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART Pro Channel II + Crown XLS1500: Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Troph, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    I picked up an ART Pro Channel II off of eBay. I have it running into channel 1 of a Crown XLS 1500 via balanced XLR. However, I'm having some issues.

1. Out of the box, with normal settings, it buzzes pretty badly. I played with lots of settings, bypassing the compressor, bypassing the EQ, but the buzzing persisted. Then I tried setting the "tube voltage" button to "high", and suddenly 95% of the buzzing went away. I tried swapping the tubes with a different pair of 12AX7s I had lying around, but it didn't change the problem at all. The only usable setting seems to be with the "tube voltage" set to high. The normal setting is basically unusable.

2. The output level seems to be too weak to drive the Crown. If I set the preamp to just below clipping, and then set the compressor stage to just below clipping, and then crank the master output level to its highest setting, I am still unable to get the "-10db" light on my Crown XLS 1500 to light up. (My Carvin BX500 is much louder even at half-volume than this combo at full blast...)

If anyone is using this setup, I'd appreciate some tips. Thanks!