1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART SGE MACH II Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stumpy, May 1, 2005.

1. So I had an ART SGE MACH II. It is cutting in and out and I really am not sure if I need to replace it or not.

I am playing with the Yamaha TRB 5 and the Eden Metro.

I used the SGE for the compressor and the "bbe" type of effect.

What do you guys think?

Stumpy

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I say replace it. You could find another one cheaper than having it fixed. Ofcourse, you can take it to a tech to see if its a dirty pot or loose connection if they will check it out for free. Then you would know if its worth it or not. Quick and cheap fix, do it. If the tech says he has to track it down, I would start shopping!

3. Sooooooooo

What would I be looking for if I would start "shopping?"

I use the SGE for the compressor and noise gate.

Stumpy

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Hey Kelly, how often do you use the Control Pedal on your X-15? I might be buying an Axess FX-1 but it doesn't come with one...

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Stumpy, you can either go with another multi-fx unit or use pedals.

As far as pedals, I haven't used them in so long I really couldn't comment on which ones work well. I have compression built into my AH350SMX that works really well so I haven't even looked at compression pedals. HEY, thats an idea...look for one of the old Trace Elliot Dual Compressor pedals! You can find them on Ebay for $50-$100 normally.

On a noise gate, I don't use the one on my ART NB and have never used one on my rig. Sorry. :meh:

There are plenty of threads covering these very questions in this forum. You should be able to find some good info from guys that have alot more experience with them.

Haujobb I pretty much am using it only to switch between patches at the moment. I haven't been using the expression pedals except as a volume/mute since I bought my Weeping Demon wah.

6. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    i had a ART SGE MKII which i brought new in 1990, which has in the last few years, the same problem or the sound level cutting in/out. after smashing it down onto my bass amp a few times used to fix it temporarily. but last year i decided to buy a Boss GT6B, and i have never looked back since, it does what the ART SGE did + more... :)
    the problem is the multipin ribbon connectors inside are crappy and corrode...

7. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    And a few years pass on by, I now have two ART SGE MKii's never did find why the intermittant problem occured in the first one, but the second one works perfectly.
    Since 2007 i have moved from the GT-6B to the GT-10B and GT-100, but mostly use a Roland GR-55 and TECH21 VT-Bass pedal now.
    Although the ART SGE is somewhat dated now, it still has some quite unique features and tones, probably because except for the time based effects, the rest are analog.