Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART SGX 2000 Tube Pre Amp-Advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassksun, Feb 7, 2006.

1. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Not a Gear head...

ART SGX 2000 Tri Channel Digital Effects Tube Pre Amp

I have a chance to buy one from a Pawn...It looks like this:

http://images.andale.com/f2/114/122/8152787/1136867515758_1140852431514_MVC_558S.JPG

$200...after taxes.

I mainly want it for the tube pre. The cab will be a LDS 28 WET 2x8 The amp will probably be QSC RMX 850

I don't play anything loud enough to hurt your ears.

Go or No Go? Thanks Very Much.

2. isn't that for guitar?
    i think so.
    Anyways, i'd say do it...personally i like my nightbass, so i'd do it :)
    the only thing i don't like about it is the distortion, ART is known for their over-the-top 80's style distortion, but everything else is pretty cool, a very nice clean sound too!

3. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    It is definately NOT a Nightbass. I'm wondering if that will make a big diff.

Thanks for the reply.

4. i think that that you will get a nice tube preamp, i think it will work just fine :)
    i think you'll like it

5. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks Much. Now answer your pm! :smug:

6. no prob...
    now reply to mine! :)

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, it is for guitar.
    I love my Nightbass as well. The distortions are useable if you like serious fuzz or over the top kinda distortion. If you just want a little grit/dirt to your sound you are probably better off getting a pedal for that. I am however still trying and have almost dialed in a nice grit.

For just the tube pre and the other effects I say go for it as well. Just make sure it has the latest chipset (v1.04) and that the pots are not noisy. If all thats a go, I say go for it.

BTW, if you really want to get serious you can add a X-11 or X-15 foot controller and have a really nice stage setup. :)

8. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Thanks both of you...

Yep. buying it for the tube pre. I only need a little chorus and a little compression so this could fill the bill.

I'm dropping the QSC for Super's GK Bassline. :hyper: With the LDS 2x8 this rig should be versatile enough and small enough for me. I'm focused mainly on blues, jazz and underground rock of the 60's and 70's. Soooo...not to bad of a rig for under $800. :)

9. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Ok.

I want to check this thing out as suggested. I'm thinking about taking some headphones to the store, plugging in an instrument and listening for scratchy pots. How can I check the chipset version? And is there anything else I should do?

I really appreciate all of the help.

Peace

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Here is how you identify which chipset it has. When you first turn on the unit look at the LCD display. The very first thing you will see is LED TEST on the display. After it finishes it will show the model name/number, chipset version, and the date of the chipset. It should be almost identical to this:

ART SGX 2000 1.04
    ART June 19, 1993

11. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

Good. Thanks.

12. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Well I finally checked the puppy out:
    v 1.05 1995

sliders are a little scratchy-no biggie. I think I'm going to emal art and see if there are v 1.10 upgrades around thanks for the help.
    Peace

13. Bargain that price way down - seems a bit too high to me. Or buy a cheap new tube pre or pedal that you can return to the store if you don't like it.

There is nothing very special about any of these cheap tube pres, including the one in the SGX. They use a relatively low voltage power supply and operate on the starved plate principle. They can be used to good effect providing both some "warming" and compression even without an additional compressor. I own one myself - but they are never going to sound quite the same as a classic tube setup.

Peace,
    S