Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cabooke, Feb 14, 2002.

1. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hey all. What do you guys and gals know about the ART SGX NIGHTBASS? Is it worth picking one of these up? I see them on ebay all of the time, and they look quite impressive, but from everything I've heard about ART, I'd be better off spending my money on just about anthing else.
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I played around with one for around an hour, and this is my (limited experience) take. LOTS of bells & whistles, effects out the wazoo, most players probably wouldn't use most of the stuff available. Soundwise, I thought it made my bass sound very compressed and "squashy" sounding, even with the compressor off. Fun to play around with I guess; I wouldn't buy one. YMMV, that's just my .02.
  3. I had one of these for a week or so. i got rid of it because it seemd to "suck " all the tone out of my amp, and bass. It really is not worth running with a bass amp. The only thing it i think it's worth using for is a direct recording pre-amp, and i don't even think it'd do a good job.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I tried a used one out at a music store locally. IMO it was a tone leech. The effects were many and varied, but didn't sound all that good to me either. If your looking for a rackmount effects box you can do a lot better. I think it's main issue is maybe a really low sampling rate? I don't like them.
  5. Had one for a while, it does squash or compress the tone, and also the effects seem to lack sustain.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had one for a couple of months. Very bad tone when used as a preamp. A couple of the effects were useful, but many didn't sound very good, and some sounded plain awful.
  7. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I wanted one for years, and bought it a few years ago.

It does everything. There are lots of completely useless effects patches in there. If you care to read the manual and learn to tweak the thing, there are some really cool sounds.

It's noisy. I bought a Hush II just to quiet the beast. It does "squash" the tone a bit, even when used to blend a lot of your dry sound with a little of the effect sounds. It "sucks the tone out" of your "dry sound" that is running through it. If you could mix your truly dry sound with sounds from this in a little mixer or something, it would be much more useful.

Mine has been in my rack for several years, during which time, it has been used very little. I finally got tired of looking at it and pulled the head out of the rack the other night and put the rack in the closet. The head is back in it's little carpet box that matches the cabs, sitting on top of them by itself, and I'm much happier.

Pic from before I removed head from rack.
  8. oklarain

Feb 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I bought one about four years ago. In the beginning I was less than impressed.
    However, after actually learning how to use the beast and setting it up for my specifications I have grown to love it. There are but a few patches direct from the factory that sound good. Luckily, you can change any or all of them so that they all sound good.
    If used with taste it is quite an impressive tool that will deliver the killer sound that you are looking for.
    That is just my opinion.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Keep in mind that its FX unit is more than 10 years old!
    Better get a good preamp and a good FX unit (e.g. TC Electronics G-Major).
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Right on JMX. There has been a lot more advances in effects quality since the Nightbass was around.

I second JMX's suggestion of getting a good preamp and then a good (modern) effects processor.

Or just go and get the seperate pedals that you want/need.
  11. ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I had a NightBass for quite a while. I spent hours and hours trying to make it sound good. Good is all I got, not great, and that was when I eventually just turned everything off and used it as a preamp (as I coupled it with a raw power amp).

Coupling it with a preamp/amp, and using it as just an effects unit... sure. But a couple stomp pedals would sound better in my opinion. Unless you are doing some seriously funky stuff, there is no reason for that many effects on bass... It just gets muddy.

I eventually traded it off at a local music store, and there it still sits for sale... 4 years later!
  12. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Good point JMX.

I have never used one, but I read in Bass Player that it doesn´t worth the money. Also, I prefer analog FX´s.... they are timeless. :D
  13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Peavey BassFex unit with the original equipment remote MIDI footswitch controller and I actually think that quality of the effects are pretty good. Now individual effects pedals would be my preference if I could have anything that I wanted but I feel that I can get by with the BassFex while I take care of what I feel are more pressing needs. The cost of one of the pedals that I had cost more than I've paid for this BassFex with all of the accessories. I don't think that they were produced for very long but one does show up occassionally at a very inexpensive price.

As for the G-Major, Has anybody had good results with it? I'm building two racks. One is almost complete and I'm making plans for the other one now.
  14. steveklik

Feb 25, 2002
    I had one for years (paid £600 for it!), and it never sounded as good switched on as switched off with my bass. I eventually traded it in for a spare bass (Hohner B2B)
    But it does look impressive.
  15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Steve. :) I think I'll just try to find another BassFex at a good price if I opt to get another multi-effects unit.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I wouldn't buy one with your money. For me it had no redeeming value. There's a handful of equipment that I flat out did not like and this is one of those pieces.

For excellent, flexible multiFX look for a used Boss ME-8B for $100- $150.
  17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Are you referring to the Art Nightbass Brad? I'm just asking now! :)
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sorry about the confusion, E. Yes, I'm talking about any of the ARTpreamp/ FX units.
  19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It's cool Brad. I was just wondering. I've always got my ear to the ground and I do respect your opinions a great deal. ;)
  20. I got one of those lend by a bandmate once, I couldn´t get the effects to sound the way I wanted, and in general, i think it´s just not good for bass.. It´s kind of useful for recording maybe guitar or voices, and is not even versatile enough to play with.