Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Art SGX Nightbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cassanova, Sep 12, 2000.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im going to be going to purchase a signal processor and Ive been considering the Nightbass for a very long time. I have never really played around with one, so I really dont know what theyre cabible of doing. Id like to get some input on them from anyone who has sat down with one and played around with them. (preferably from people who own one or have owned one) Id also like to know how much they cost, i know the price will be different in my area as to yours but itll give me a good idea. Im going out armed with $950. and ill admit id like to NOT blow the whole wad if possible, but i will do it if need be.

2. I hope you realize that the NightBass has been discontinued by ART. I don't know why, I think it's a great little box.
    I have had mine for six years now, played it both in the states and in Europe without a problem. While it's true there are many options on it that you will probably never use, the sounds that you do use are well worth the dough.
    You should be able to get one for under $600 (Mine was $629
    new from Mus. Friend)Ther are 4 Banks of pre-programmed sounds, and 200 slots for your own sounds.It has a choice of three different types of pre-amps Tube, solid, or brite tube,has Compressor,2 EQ's,Envelope filter, distortion, flange, chorus, delay(s),reverb (at least 5 types). I guess some people thought it had too many bells and whistles to be useful, but I wouldn't trade mine for nothin'!

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I too considered the NightBass when looking for a new pre-amp/effects processor. I played a used one in my local music store. To be honest I did not like it at all, for several reasons.

1. It muddied up my sound A LOT, even in bypass mode.
    2. It has an annoying click when switching between patches. And when the patch has a delay in it [yes, a delay CAN be usefull on a bass :)] the click is repeated several times.

Once I found this out I did not even try to find a great sound so I cannot say anything about that.

Just my $.02
    Ingmar

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I had a Nightbass for years, and reviewed for Bassist magazine back in about 97 - it has been discontinued for a couple of years, so tech support may be an issue...

I liked it alot, but since then better units have come out - check out the Lexicon MPX-1 and MPX-G2. I have a G2 and it's better than the Nightbass in just about every way possible. You can read the review of the G2 that I wrote for Bassist on my website.

If it's the tube that you're after, try the Digitech BP8 - it's a floor unit, but is very good.

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Or if you like tube sounds, check out Hughes & Kettner's Tube Factor - it's great for bass, too.

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Steve, I'll agree the Lexicon's are a lot nicer.

I've seen the ART Nightbass units going for $350-$500 used.
    ART, still has fairly good tech support concerning these. In fact you can download the manual from their website.