Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART SLA2 Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vision, Sep 23, 2005.

1. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Has anyone heard of this power amp? It looks like its mainly for studio use, but the specs would be perfect in a bass rig - one rackspace in a lightweight package, 560 watts bridged into 8 ohms, or 280 watts stereo into 4 ohms, all for $299?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ART-SLA2.html

2. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I called ART and spoke to one of their people...hs said the amp should be perfect for a bass rig. It has an all steel chassis, a torodial transformer, and a fan cooling system built in...

3. I have one that was powering an ampeg 8x10. Its kinda heavy tho but its a great space saver.

4. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    cool! how did it sound pushing the ampeg?

5. It held its own, But its better if you have an 8 ohm cab so you can use the 500 watts bridged.

6. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yep, it would be perfect for me because i have an 8 ohm 4x8 cab...560 watts bridged into that cab would work great...

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Has anyone else given this power amp a try? It looks like it would be a great power amp for those who don't need that much oomph.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just noticed there's no Speakon outs :meh:

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes. Arising from the dead, creeping out of the stinking pit where it once lay dormant, comes this moldy, wretched thread. :p

I got one for Christmas. What a tank! I had no idea it would be this heavy for a 1U, even for a sled. But carrying it outside a case is no problem. The heat sinks are smooth and won't dig in. You can carry it like a heavy book, under one arm.

The amp is built tight. Everything feels like quality, with the slight exception of the output binding posts, whose screw caps feel a bit chintzy and can challenge your dexterity in tight places. But they do work, and they don't come loose. At first I was flummoxed by the amp's claim to be able to accept banana plugs; I'd expected to find the typical holes in the screw caps to accept them, but it turns out the way you do it is to use individual banana plugs to plug into the same holes you'd insert stripped wire. It works, and it's secure. The power plug just barely makes it between one channel's pair of speaker wires, but it does make it.

The outputs are relay-controlled. There are ZERO turn-on or turn-off pops. You can hear each channel's relay clicks when they change state. Very nice.

The LED is blue and blinding. I tried my WTDI into this thing, and with both its and the SLA2's blue LEDs running, the room started looking like something illegal was going on. No big deal, though.

The fan is always on, but only barely audible. Nowhere near as loud as, say, the grinder-from-Hell fan on an RMX. It will not bother you, unless you've got a mic nearby in an otherwise dead quiet room.

Airflow is front to back, something to keep in mind if you're going to rack this thing with other gear.

There really aren't any surprises here. It's a moderately powered amp that will give you great whomp and dynamics as long as you don't clip it. I tried it into a pair of Avatar B212s (8 ohms + 8 ohms) and it sounded great and LOUD, even at the bottom end, where you wouldn't expect a 1U to be all that authoritative. 400 sled watts into four twelves is plenty capable of just about anything. I can't imagine four B212s running off one (280 + 280 = 560) -- it would be a terror.

I tried running two basses into the unit directly. There's enough gain to get to studio volume for personal practice or in an iso room, but of course when you attempt something like this, for which the unit was not designed, the killer is input impedance. Results were far better with an active bass, since its output impedance is far lower than the passive's, and its output level is higher, too. You could actually play a small club with only an active bass and this 1U and a bass cab and nothing else. Depending on the active preamp's gain, of course.

Well, I hope this helps folks who might be considering one.

10. Yeah, it's a cool little amp. I had one for a mini travel right power an Aggie cab.

11. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    These may have been good bang-for-the-buck back when this thread was started. But today, unless you're buying used, the lightweight offerings from Peavey, Crown, Carvin, etc. are heads and shoulders above the Art SLA2.

For the same retail price you get:
    10-12 lbs less weight.
    Twice the power.
    Ability to work at 1/2 the impedence.

The only advantage I see with the ART unit is the single space.