Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Tube Channel as a bass preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xyllion, Feb 10, 2003.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Anyone ever try an ART Tube Channel preamp as a bass preamp? Seems to have alot of nice features. Priced similar to an RBI, it has two tube stages, a compressor and a very flexible eq.

Anyone ever try?

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i'm using it. this unit is awesome. I wish it had a front input, but that doesn't matter. I use it as my primary preamp. The eq is great, compressor comes in handy, and its ultra ultra smooth sounding. If you want a very lyrical preamp, this is the one. If you're looking for an ultra grinding, crunching tone, look elsewhere.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Guess I'm going to find out. Just found a good deal on one. So, I'm going to give it a try.

The inputs on the back are actually a good thing for me because I use a wireless for gigs and that has all of its wires in the back, too. So, they seem to be a good pairing.

The attractive thing here is that I can also use it in my home studio for playing around with vocals.

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    If I were you, I'd go with the Pro Channel over the Tube Channel. Although you lose a rack space (the Pro Channel is 2U, the Tube Channel is 1U), the Pro Channel has a 100% discrete solid-state input stage, where the Tube Channel uses a cheaper IC-based solid-state input.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Hmmmm, I appreciate the input. I already have the tube channel on order. So, I give it a try. If it doesn't work out for me then I'll figure out what to do next. On top of the space consideration there is also price. The tube channel is significantly less expensive and my budget is limited.

6. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    xyllion if you see this post again I would love to know what you paid for the tube channel, or anybody for that matter. I just got the Tube MP for $54 on E Bay. It seems fine for what I am doing which is home low fi recording. It seems to make some of my lesser quaility amps sound "better" or maybe just different?. Carvin PB100-15 and a Peavy Minx. It dosent due anything for the Ashdown ABM I can't get it to do already. I changed the tube that came in it but from what I've read in the Harmony.com reviews a tube should'nt be in the pre stages. They are talking about hi fi recordings though. I don't get the "crunch" out of the Art Tube MP as I do with the Ashdown tube.

I always liked the looks of this HHB FatMan photo. I'd love to play around with it. Anybody ever done that with the FatMan?