Art tube EQ as preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Oct 30, 2003.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Will the ART tube eq be able to drive a poweramp?
    I can get one at a great price and thought that I could use it as a preamp untill I can afford a "real" bass preamp.
    Will it work?
  2. I think so. I have the little ART Tube MP (desktop model) and it drives an amp as well as the pre in my SWR. BTW, I have a Tube EQ on the way (should arrive tomorrow) and if you can wait, I'll let you know for certain.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Please let me know if it works when you get it!
    And tell me how it sounds (how you like it). :)
  4. Tried the Tube EQ today. It will drive both my little Stewart 100b and my Carvin DCM1000 very well.

Sounds fairly clean and flat, maybe not as sparkly as my SWR S220 pre (but not much is). With my 9 volt EMG's pushing, the gain on the tube would just barely start getting a little furry on the low notes when it was dimed. This is different from my Tube MP (mic pre) which will go into full fuzz and has a slight warmth (low mids) to it's voicing.

Noise wise, it was fine. With both the tube gain and output maxed I could hear a little hiss if I put my ear next to the Acme's tweeter. Not noticeable from 5 feet away.

The EQ section is quite good and all you should need to sculpt a good sound. Selectable frequencies on the low and high shelving and two overlapping, sweepable mids.

A caveat: if you jack the output high enough to really get close to clipping on the power amp, you are going to be too hot on the XLR output (if you planned on using it as a DI as well). I've run into this on other pre/DIs that have only one control for output.

All in all, it makes a good warm sounding little pre.
  5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I actually use an ART tube channel preamp which you can pickup on eBay for less than $200. Definitely not the ultimate bass preamp, but it works. Mine sits in my gig rig which includes my wireless. This turns out to be a great pairing because both my wireless and the ART tube channel have their connections on the back.