Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Art Tube MP. Changing tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just bought a ART Tube MP as a temporary preamp driving my poweramp and EBS 210. Sounds really good.
    How much does the tube quality differ in a unit like this?
    Woul a NOS tube change anything?

2. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Check out this review of 12AX7 preamp tubes. I'm planning on buying a few to experiemt with. FWIW.

http://www.thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html

Personal opinion here: I think you should definitely experiment with different tubes.

3. No reason that you shouldn't get some different sounds with different tubes. Do a search for <b>12AX7</b> in this forum for a lot of info on how different tubes sound in different pres.

BTW, I've got one of those ART MPs as a backup for my old SWR S220 and it does fine with the tube that came in it. Warms up the sound nicely without killing or muffling it. I use it in combo with a Fishman Bass EQ and it makes a handy little setup.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    oh. I just read the manual. It says I´ll void the warranty if I change the tube. That sucks! :(
    Im not sure I will keep this pre (sounds good but nothing special), I´ve got some more days to evaluate it.

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond &amp; SuperSensitive strings
    Not only will it void the warranty, but the two halves of the case are connected via a delicate ribbon wire and it looks like damage could be done to the circuitboard by moving a tube in and out.