Art Tube MP. Changing tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just bought a ART Tube MP as a temporary preamp driving my poweramp and EBS 210. Sounds really good.
    How much does the tube quality differ in a unit like this?
    Woul a NOS tube change anything?
  2. GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Check out this review of 12AX7 preamp tubes. I'm planning on buying a few to experiemt with. FWIW.

Personal opinion here: I think you should definitely experiment with different tubes.
  3. No reason that you shouldn't get some different sounds with different tubes. Do a search for <b>12AX7</b> in this forum for a lot of info on how different tubes sound in different pres.

BTW, I've got one of those ART MPs as a backup for my old SWR S220 and it does fine with the tube that came in it. Warms up the sound nicely without killing or muffling it. I use it in combo with a Fishman Bass EQ and it makes a handy little setup.
  4. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    oh. I just read the manual. It says I´ll void the warranty if I change the tube. That sucks! :(
    Im not sure I will keep this pre (sounds good but nothing special), I´ve got some more days to evaluate it.
  5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond &amp; SuperSensitive strings
    Not only will it void the warranty, but the two halves of the case are connected via a delicate ribbon wire and it looks like damage could be done to the circuitboard by moving a tube in and out.