Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Tube MP emulator used for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Anyone ever hear of using the ART Tube MP emulator as a bass pre-amp? It's designed to be used in line with a mic to get a warm tube sound for singers, but the current literature onnit says it could also be used as a "perfect direct box for guitar, keyboard, bass, and other instruments..."
    A local salesguy at my regular music store says I could use the ART as a good tube pre-amp for my bass amp. All it's supposed to be is a box with a real 12ax7 tube in it to warm up the sound before passing it on. (The tube is easily replaced, and the salesguy tells me that if I like Mesa Boogie then I could even use one of their tubes...) It runs around $60-$70 new, and goes on ebay for $30-$50.

Anyone have knowledge of, or experience with, this gadget here?

Thanks,
    Greywoulf :D

2. I've been using an original Tube MP for a while now and I do like the results my bass is warm and round sounding. I use it on jazz recordings and when that vintage tube sound is right. I do still use other DIs depending on the overall sound of the recording. There are several versions and I'd suggest checking them all out to see which one suits you best. I don't think that changing the tube will make all that much difference but 12AX7 tubes are usually inexpensive.

3. I've had one for about 6 months now. It definately adds "warmth", whether from the tube or voicing I don't know. I've found it most useful in small combo and jazz settings where that warmth doesn't get buried.

In louder settings I had to use more bass shelving cut on my eq to get rid of boominess, so I've stopped using it for that. Haven't tried swapping the tube yet.