ART Tube MP emulator used for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Anyone ever hear of using the ART Tube MP emulator as a bass pre-amp? It's designed to be used in line with a mic to get a warm tube sound for singers, but the current literature onnit says it could also be used as a "perfect direct box for guitar, keyboard, bass, and other instruments..."
    A local salesguy at my regular music store says I could use the ART as a good tube pre-amp for my bass amp. All it's supposed to be is a box with a real 12ax7 tube in it to warm up the sound before passing it on. (The tube is easily replaced, and the salesguy tells me that if I like Mesa Boogie then I could even use one of their tubes...) It runs around $60-$70 new, and goes on ebay for $30-$50.

Anyone have knowledge of, or experience with, this gadget here?

Greywoulf :D
  2. I've been using an original Tube MP for a while now and I do like the results my bass is warm and round sounding. I use it on jazz recordings and when that vintage tube sound is right. I do still use other DIs depending on the overall sound of the recording. There are several versions and I'd suggest checking them all out to see which one suits you best. I don't think that changing the tube will make all that much difference but 12AX7 tubes are usually inexpensive.
  3. I've had one for about 6 months now. It definately adds "warmth", whether from the tube or voicing I don't know. I've found it most useful in small combo and jazz settings where that warmth doesn't get buried.

In louder settings I had to use more bass shelving cut on my eq to get rid of boominess, so I've stopped using it for that. Haven't tried swapping the tube yet.