1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Art Tube MP into a power amp - Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PikeoftheLake, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Hi,

As I poke around the forum I hear of people suggesting the Art Tube MP combined with a power amp as a budget solution for those looking for a transparent and loud, yet affordable combination. Does anyone have real world experience with this?

2. It will work, you won't have any tone shaping options and it could be noisy due to the wall-wart pwr. supply.
    Worth a try. If you can find an old Pro Channel they have the MP, Comp and tube EQ in a 2 space rack.

3. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    I have. You have to consider the input sensitivity of your power amp.

It sounded alright but it was hard to get a powerful clean sound. I liked it better when I did Bass -> Tube MP -> Xynyx 502 -> XLS 202 Bridged

The Crown XLS amps needed a higher input voltage than the Tube MP would provide, which makes sense for a pre with only a 9v power supply.

Here is the Tube MP manual http://artproaudio.com/downloads/owners_manuals/om_tubemp.pdf

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Been doing this on and off for a bit.
    If you like the tone of your bass its fine.
    I dig the ridiculous amount of clean gain on tap. Feels very "fast" for lack of a better description. Kinda like your finger is directly connected to the speaker. Very responsive.
    It's a cheap experiment, go for it.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Been doing it a lot lately, works fine.

You may want to use the +20db switch to help bring the pickup signal strong to drive the poweramp. This lets you set the gain knobs lower, helps it stay quiet (noise).

I'm going bass--> couple pedals--> tubemp--> poweramp--> speakers.

If you're using a real bass amp, don't use the +20db switch and it'll also serve as a DI.

mbelue likes this.
  6. That about sums it up. No shortage of gain to drive a Crown.

7. One of my set ups is like this Bass--> Eden Wtdi--> Art Tube MP--> Peavey IPR power amp. The Eden just cant drive the power amp by it self but with the Tube MP it gets stupid loud. Plus the Eden cant real get any good sounding OD but you can get some good over drive by turning up the gain on the tube.

8. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    ART also has newer tech if you don't already have the basic Tube MP. I am going to experiment with one of their newer devices. I have one of their A/B/Y switches that is great and have used several pieces of their gear - good stuff.
    I also was using a Presonus Studio Channel that worked well but it is just gathering dust since I went the micro amp route.

9. Would one of these ART Tube MP units boost the signal from a microphone enough to run it into the front end of a guitar amp to use it as a makeshift PA?

10. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Whirlwind Little IMP | Sweetwater.com

11. Just tried using the Tube MP through my Acmes. The result? Meh. It was really noisy and pickup up a lot of hum. The tone from my J bass was ok but nothing to brag about. I will say that it powered my Peavey CS800S just fine though.

I'm sending the unit back.

Thanks for the input everyone.

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sounds like your +20db gain button mighta been pushed in. If so, give it another try with that button in the out/normal position. Also try using a lower input-knob setting, then bring up the output-knob higher to get the volume you need.

13. Hmm, I tried with the +20 out/normal. All that happened is that I had to raise the input and I got the same buzz. Now I'm wondering if I had a defective unit?

14. Maybe. Could be a dud tube too. Mine is a little noisy but nothing too bad.

15. Sure would.

16. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yeah, could be, were you powering the tube mp off the same circuit/outlet as your poweramp? Also try turning the poweramp volume way up, so the mp can be set lower...

17. The Aguilar ToneHammer DI can drive a power amp with no issues. They're fairly cheap used and sound great.

18. Yeah, I dimed the power amp and did a bit more troubleshooting. I actually now think that it is the bass. I tried it with my P bass and the unit was silent!

I think this will be my next approach. Either that or I will sell the power amp and get something like a Carvin B1000. I just like having the power amp around because it can be used for bass or to power monitors.

bradjonesbass likes this.
  19. I was thinking of going that route, but ended up getting a TH500 instead. I'm keeping the pedal, just for DI only gigs and recording.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021