Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Tube MP - Microphone PreAmp - WOW!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIg O, Jul 16, 2002.

1. So I'm awaiting my Sadowsky pre-amp DI box to arrive at Club Bass to use with my passive basses (MIA Jazz V , F-Bass BNF4, and BN6). I am impatient, and start to play around with using this ART mic preamp I picked up on sale for $99 CAD (~$60 USD).
    :D WOW!! Warm fat sound and really improved the signal to noise ratio through my rig (current setup:
    Behringer Autocom Pro Comressor (used as two-stage mono), Alembic SF-2 Superfilter, and SWR Bass 350).

Has anyone else tried this unit? ART Tube MP Microphone PreAmp
    Reviews??
    Any comments on ART generally?
    BTW, I'd recommend this unit to anyone looking for a high quality inexpensive preamp with tube warmth and lots of phat!

Sidebar comment:

A friend of mine - Al Richardson (bassist for Mel Brown & the Homewreckers, WC Handy award-winners) uses the ART Tube Channel. (He also has a PhD in quantum physicis!!)

2. That's good! I'm considering picking up one of those to stick in front of my Clarus for small gigs and to use for recording.

You heard about the new Tube MP3 V3, right? It has built-in limiting and compression.

3. Yea, I think that's why the dealer was clearing out the MPs. I'm pretty happy with it anyway, because it was an impulse purchase that I really intended for use with vocals.
    :cool: I love it when a plan that never existed comes together!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Sounds great. if it was phantom powerable, i'd jump on it too.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have had one of these for several years. It is a great little box. It sounds especially good for bass. I have used mine several times for small gigs, using no amp, going straight to the PA. I carry it in my bass case to every gig as my backup should something go wrong with my amp. It also fattens up the sound for recording purposes, and the 1/4" and XLR outs are great for impedance matching.

6. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    BigO,
    I've been looking for something along these lines for a while. Where did you buy it? Since you mentioned Club Bass I'm guessing you're near T.O.

7. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'm currently using an ART Tube Channel rack preamp. The thing rocks. I can get so much distortion outa the tube on that thing that it sounds like and amplified hornets nest. Good clean too. Very cool and much fun every now and then. Otherwise, its a great and versitile tube preamp, and just enough eq capability in my opinion, compressor/limiter's a good thrown in feature too. 300 bones...try one if u can sometime

8. Hey ashbory - got it at Long & McQuade in Brampton. I was by there last week and there were none left, but try the other TO area L&M stores.

9. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Thanks dude,
    I'm going to check out the Toronto store after work.
    By the way I like your headstock. (I have the same bass - 1991 version)

10. Blg O,

Can you describe your signal chain (where does the Art Preamp go in relation to the bass, compressor, SF-2, etc)?

Also be curious to know how your SF2 fits in with the 350 - how is shapes the sound of the SWR (I have a 350 that used to be my main amp. I only use it to practice at home but have always thought it's a great amp)

Thanks

11. Here's how things are hooked up now:

[​IMG]

Basically, this gives me a 12AX7 outboard preamp stage with the ART Tube MP into one stage of compression, into the SWR 12AX7 preamp stage for the main signal. By taking the effects loop SC as the next path (first main compression then SF-2 so that the filter doesn't affect compression performance) I can blend the amount of compressed and shaped signal with the raw feed in two places - the blend knob on the SWR 350, AND the blend feature of the SF-2 in mono mode.

For the SF-2, I usually have one filter set as low pass and the other as high pass, with differing gains and Q levels depending on the sound I want.

A few comments - I'm not completely pleased with the compressor, and two stages of compression is probably overkill (but the LED's look great!! :D).

Probably too many tone choices now - but being on my own after 25 married years, I have lots of time for knob-twiddling. ;)

12. :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

13. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Well I got one. Seemed to have a bit of a "barky" sound to it, with something missing in the highs. So I tried swapping the tube. What a difference! The original was a generic made in China 12AX7A, "hand selected" according to the box.
    I have been missing that whole "tube" thing since my old ampeg died, now I am happy.
    Tried it out last night with the jam band- punchy, warm and sound sat nicely with those other stringed instruments.
    I am connecting into the effects return of my GK800RB by the way.
    Thanks for the recommendation BigO.

14. hey ashbory: Happy it worked out for you! Tube warmth rules!