ART Tube MP users

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chasarms, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    A question for folks who use this little doo dad.

Does the XLR and 1/4" line output work in parallel? In other words, can you use BOTH at the same time. For example, one to the snake for a board feed and another to your amp input.
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Original Tube MP user manual PDF file available on the website states, on page 2:

The XLR output of theTUBE MP is active balanced You may use it
    in an unbalanced configuration without harm to the output circuitry.
    Use the unbalanced 1/4” jack for sending your signal to
    amps, processors or other unbalanced configurations. Also, both
    outputs may be used at the same time.

Another PDF says the input impedance, on the 1/4 jack, is only 840Kohms, which seems quite low to me for use with piezo pickups.
    I think 3 Megohms or more is desirable for piezo use.
    When I bought my Tubeworks 4001 Tube DI, it had a 1 Megohms input impedance, which I changed to 3.3 Megohms.
    BTW, I can use both the 1/4 and XLR outputs at the same time too.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, they can both be used simultaneously. Be careful with gain-staging, though - the XLR out is meant to connect to the "line" input of the mixer, and many mixers don't accept XLR line signals. It might be good to carry a canon plug with you just in case this is ever an issue. I keep an extra set of cables and various odds and ends like this in a bag under the drivers seat of my car should any situations like this arise. If you're using the Tube MP as your main pre, it might be wise to just carry the canon plug with it. Gear snobs like to rag on ART stuff just for kicks, but it's really not a bad little pre at all. Good luck.