Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ART Tube pre-amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Dec 31, 2004.

1. I've found this advert for ART Tube pre-amps, and they can be used for bass, guitar, keyboard, microphones etc. They use a real tube, so are they any good? I really want a tube pre-amp to give me some warm growl, question is, will this get me it?

2. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I tried one for a day. It worked just ok. It did add some warmth, but it was noisy. My sansamp bd sounded better than the ART handsdown.

3. But I want a real tube to add growl and warmth.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It will add more warmth rather than a lot of growl. It is set up to be a more acuurate (hi-fi) preamp. You'll get out of it what you put into it more or less.

If you want growl go for something made for overdrive. Try the SIB fatdrive.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Dude, a sansamp gets you a pretty close immitation of tubes, without the noise and the HUGE price tag. Oh, not to mention the sansamp is tons lighter than tube stuff. It will last longer than cheap tubes anyways..
    I would stick to buying BASS products too. If it wasn't tuned for specifically bass then you've probably lost some tone.
    It's like buying an $80,000 Acure NSX when you could of gotten a $50,000 Corvette which handles and looks better. :)

6. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    What you want is growl and warmth. There are many products that do this. What difference does it make it it is a 'real tube' or no tube? :confused: