1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ART Tube/Pro/Voice Channel Preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Does anyone have any experience with these?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have Tube MP... nothing special unless you just want a volume boost (only used this for vocals). It might warm things up a hair.

I have an ART Levelar which I used to use, and liked a lot. I prefer not to use compression these days.

One of my favorite things about tubiness is the natural compression that occurs. These preamps wont give you that unless you are using an all tube setup.

3. I have an ART Tube PAC. I use it solely to provide some clean tube warmth in front of my AI Focus. It does that very nicely. It also has a compression feature, which I don't use; but it has no EQ.

It was very inexpensive (used) and it's even smaller and lighter than the Focus!

Bluesy Soul :cool:

4. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I have this and I get the exact same results, except to me there's a definite warming of tone if you add it through vocals or anything else you might put it through. However, it's better used to boost a signal, if anything. Still a great deal for $30.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I used the ART Tube Channel for quite a while. I consider that it is essentially a poor man's Demeter 201 - This is the Tube PAC pre combined with the Tube EQ section. You aren't going to get 'tubey' warmth out of it. It's quite hifi - remember - this is a Microphone pre-amp. Not a place where you generally want a lot of grind. FWIW - I'll buy another for my recording rack one day.

The MP stuff is not in the same league.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have an ART MPA Gold that I use in my home recording setup. It's one of the few ART pres that doesn't use a staved-plate design for the tubes. It's nicely warm sounding, but can do clean very well also.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have an old tube channel. This is quite different from current units. It has a mind-boggling array of features, yet is easy to use. This thing is amazing. You can hear and see it here:

http://www.basstasters.com/preamps/ART_Tube_Channel.html

Bought mine used from craigb here on TB. This is a model 259, and has been discontinued for at least 2 years. It has two 12-AX7 tubes, as you can see from this diagram.

It can get plenty dirty, compressed, and extreme, but set flat, it is purity itself. A great unit--I'll never sell it. :bassist:

Art_259_tubechannel.

Here is the blurb from the spec sheet:

The Tube Channel is a single-space, tube recording channel featuring individual circuits which
    include a tube mic preamp, an optical compressor, and a four-band, tube-based parametric
    EQ. The Tube Channel follows the strong A R T tradition of exceptional quality tube-based
    products. With the Tube Channel, A R T has created a world-class dynamics processing channel
    designed to accommodate any microphone or instrument going to any digital or analog
    recording device.
    The award-winning, tube-based preamp features over 60dB of gain, +48v phantom power, and
    a 20dB pad. Independent input and output gain controls are provided. Visual feedback for the
    amount of tube drive is available via a unique tube character LED array. The optical compressor
    design is related to A R T's critically-acclaimed Pro VLA. The optical compressor features
    compression and limiting settings, selectable release times, adjustable threshold, and output
    level controls. Gain reduction is displayed via a four-segment LED array. The four-band
    parametric EQ section provides selectable high and low shelving filters with two mid-bands
    which sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz. The mid-bands overlap from 200Hz to 2kHz for the ultimate
    in flexibility.
    Insert points are available between each of the three processing sections. These inserts provide
    direct outputs from the preamp and the compressor for signal routing flexibility. Additionally,
    these inserts allow each processing section to be isolated for independent usage or to change
    the order of the processing sections (eg. you can place the EQ before the compressor).

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Dimensions: 5.25"D x 19"W x 1.75"H
    Weight: 8.0 lbs
    Maximum Gain: XLR to XLR 81dB
    1/4" to 1/4" 63dB
    Dynamic Range: >90dB (no weighting)
    Input Impedance: 1.67k ohms (XLR), 1M Ohm (1/4")
    Output Impedance: 600 ohms (XLR), 300 Ohms (1/4")
    Maximum Input Level: +15dBu (XLR), +21dBu (1/4")
    Maximum Output Level: +27dBu (XLR), +22dBu (1/4")
    Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): <0.1%
    Equivalent Input Noise (EIN): -129dBu (XLR to XLR, "A" weighted)
    CMMR: 90dB (typical)
    Tubes: Two hand-selected 12AX7a
    Phantom Power: +48v DC (switchable)
    Compression Ratio: 2.3:1 (comp)/ 6:1 (lim)
    Attack Time: 6.5ms
    Release Time: 200ms (fast), 70ms-1sec (auto)
    EQ Frequency Bands:
    Low Shelf: 40Hz/120Hz Selectable
    Low-Mid Sweepable: 20Hz to 200Hz/ 200Hz to 2KHz
    High-Mid Sweepable: 200Hz to 2KHz/ 2KHz to 20KHz
    High Shelf: 6KHz/18KHz Selectable
    Gain/Frequency Band: ±12dB
    Power Requirements: 100-125 VAC, 25W Export units configured
    for country of destination

8. I have an ART Pro-Channel - preamp / compressor / eq. I like it a lot, especially for recording direct. Had it in my gig rack for a while but don't have space for it anymore. I got some nice vintage-like tones out of it by overdriving the preamp, eqing out the upper mids, and mixing that with the clean signal. It's got two compressors and a switch to change between tube or optical. Both compressors are ok but nothing special.

9. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I have used a mpa gold for all my good recordings it is a great unit

on my myspace all my recordings are a mtd grendel =>mpagold => protools/cubase

I have a pro channel on the way to me as we speak and a matched set of jj tubes for it waiting !!