1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ART V3 problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TribalEagle, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Hi

I ad here same post I send to ART if someone knows what is the problem here. Probably some kind of user error but I don`t know what is going wrong.. :bawl:

email to ART:

I have a little problem with my V3 studio preamp. I tried to google and search your companys homepage, but could not find the answer.

I use V3 with my bass guitar as preamp and limiter. Limiter is
    excellent, but it has one major flaw. When I play first note with my bass it does not limit it, after that limiter works fine. If I stop playing for a while and start again, the first note is not again limited. (allso this anoying hum appears) I added picture from Audacity to help you understand what I mean. I played with even attack basic open A with limiter full. Preamp warmed up about few minutes before recording.
    Preamp tube inside is original but AC adapter is made by Alesis and gives out 9v ~ 0.78A 7VA. (that sould be enough).
    This is really big problem for me, cos I can`t use limiter setting
    live or I will destroy speakers with that first note.. :/

l_971601b0860b4d2199096d28ae7d241c.

So can anyone here help ? :help:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The limiter is set to a very slow attack and release time. This is typical of old-style studio limiters like the Urei LA2A, and ART probably chose those settings to appeal to people who wanted that type of classic studio effect. Even though it is called a "limiter", it is useless for stopping fast spikes after a pause/rest.

If the attack and release cannot be adjusted, then I would not use the ART for speaker protection. If the limiter features a side-chain trigger input then while recording you can use a steady input like the kick drum or high hat to keep the limiter over the threshold for peak limiting while you record the bass. If it doesn't have a sidechain then your only hope is to play steadily with no loud notes following a long rest. After a rest, play a low/moderate-level note to trigger the limiter, then play any stronger notes.

4. TribalEagle

TribalEagle

Mar 19, 2005
    Finland EU
    Thanks for the replys!
    I actually got reply to my mail from ART as well.

"It actually might be the supply rate. The limiter should be a brickwall, and very fast and should not let any transient through. But I seem to remember that we were packing a 1amp supply for units shipped overseas because the V3 took just a little more to power and seemed to affect the users in 220v land.

I would try to source a 9v AC 1amp / 1000 milliamp supply and see if the issue rectifies itself.

Technical Services
    Applied Research and Technology
    A division of Yorkville Sound"

Really nice that they bothered to answer. Not so nice is that the powersuply didn`t help. :/ (used 1A suply from my rocktron preamp)
    I may have to use it just as tube preamp and forget the limiter for bass. (My brother has used the limiter for some rap vocal recordings and he likes it a lot.)